Let the rebuttals begin...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, Kilomike -

I spoke with some civility in my reply. But you've either run out of decent responses or chose voluntarily to get a bad attitude.

You said, "I cannot believe the ignorance I am reading on this board. Supposedly you can fly a plane. But common sense is sorely lacking here." Ignorance?! A typical elitist liberal attitude. If it's contrary to your viewpoint, it's wrong.

"If left alone some companies would try to get away with paying people 50 cents an hour." If 50 cents an hour is all the jobs worth, then that's all it should pay. Otherwise, your promoting inflation and supressing the situation where people strive to gain more by working more effectively.

"...and it sounds like some of you have been brainwashed by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, etc. who broadcast very one-sided information." So you don't think we're able to think on our own, Mr. Kilomike? That's where you and I differ... you just regurgitate the "party line" and conservatives think more for themselves. Particularly the ones who are true to their beliefs (which you call extrememists).

"I and other "liberals" (your words) support the right of such people to speak so we can listen to their one-sidedness and dismiss them." You skipped the issue of policical correctness. This is a favorite agenda item for 'you liberals' which stifles thought, speech and writing. Give me a break! Also, what's with this '"liberals" (your words)'? You spoke of being a liberal 8 times in you first post above.

"Grow up and maybe people would be more interested in hearing the conservative side of the issues." What?

"I hardly ever see childish rants from the likes of Bob Herbert (NY Times Columnist) who is an excellent progressive writer." I try hard to *NOT* read the NY Times. I concentrate on the Wall Street Journal or Fox News, exclusively.

"but GROW UP." more thoughtful response... Are you a teacher? Do you have to say this at work over and over every day?

"Some of you sound like you have your head up your #### and don't look at BOTH sides of issues before deciding." Two points here... One, can't you respond without the insults?? Two, you're getting all wound up because WE DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR """LIBERAL""" AGENDA!

"For example you don't have to be 100% with the NRA on gun issues or for total gun control either." I think you'll find that the NRA supports a reasonable amount of safety and control of firearms ownership and purchases. You think they are against all safety and control??? Then you're not a well informed critic.

"--knee jerk liberal?" never heard of such a thing. I believe all liberals are just concerned about *feeling good about themselves* and they do this by giving away *other peoples* money and liberties.

"I would like to see more people truly take the time to research the issues from both the liberal and conservative perspectives." I have, and conclude that the the liberal agenda matches the Ten Planks of the Communist Manifesto very closely.

"I am not opposed at all by your right to say these things but I am just getting less and less impressed when I see this kind of writing and thinking." I'm not trying to impress you. I'm trying to show others that you're wrong.

KM,
In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka: "Lighten up, Francis."

I don't care if you had borscht with the Premier, or if the title of your Phd dissertation was "Why crappy American newspapers are not at all like crappy newspapers from other countries..." No matter what your background, your condescending tone is out of line when it is directed at individuals on this forum. If you want to be condescending and mean, direct it at institutions (such as the Globe), like I do. It's relaxing, enjoyable, tastes great, AND is less filling.
The fact that I think that the Globe is the propoganda pulpit for the wine cooler and brie crowd from the People's Republic of Cambridge (ahh, that felt good...see?) is secondary to the main point: The Globe has repeatedly proven itself to be anti-aviation. They are against improving Logan. They side with the Volvo Militia up in Bedford and Lexington when it comes to restricing the use of Hanscom Field. Yet somehow they find it ok to print multiple editorials by Michael "Tank" Dukakis in which he tells everyone "Don't fly, take the train." They conveniently leave out the fact that he is now the Chairman of the Board at Amtrak. Their anti-aviation stance is something that all of us on this board, regardless of politcal affliliation, should find abhorrent.
Feel free to make a sarcastic comment about Fox news, or the Herald, or whatever. Feel free to express whatever you feel and believe. Just remember that talking down to people like they don't know better and you do is like school in July: "There ain't no class in it!" (Plagarized from Fat Albert)

I wish you safe passage on all of your flights.

Signed,
A newly converted A&M Aggie fan (from MA no less!)

The Globe's AVIATION reporting is poor

CE402,

I have to agree, that the Boston Globe does not do well when it comes to discussing aviation issues. Geez, couldn't that have been the whole point of this thread without all the anti liberal diatribes????!!! One does not have to even be remotely conservative to be dissatisfied with the Globe's lack of good aviation reporting.

I wish safe flights for you, too.

Kilomike

Gotta love it

I just gotta tell you guys how entertaining it is to watch these threads develop. I've seen this one go from a 9/11 discussion to a political bombasting in the blink of an eye. Sheesh, you guys are sensitive. Hey, man, we're all in this together so stop your name-calling and get back in the fight. Here's what it's all about.

9-11 Tragic? YES. Successful for the terrorists? HELL, YES! But only because we've given that SOB exactly what he wanted. Not the sensless killing of thousands of innocent people, but a genuine, innate fear of everyday living as we once knew and fought for. My God, people, this knee-jerk reaction to those events is the ultimate terror. Increased screening at US airports resulting in extreme delays and inconvenience is nothing but that. It only serves to discourage the American public from flying and in these already-economically-stressed-times, there is a ripple effect which will most assuredly be felt, in some way, by generations to come. Let's face it, we're closing the barn door after the horse got out and no matter what we do to deter terrorism, it won't work because some suicidal maniac out there will always find a way to thwart our best efforts. So here's my solution: To prevent aeronautical terrorism completely and assuredly, simply ban all forms of aviation. Oops, sorry, that won't work. So here's plan "B": Just continue as before and ignore the fargin' bastages (Johnny Dangerously). Hey, life is dangerous and there are no guarantees. Nobody stopped driving their cars (50,000 killed every year) did they?

Last edited:
Aviation Reporting

The problem with news "reporting" of aviation is a lack of enlightened reporters and a lack of qualified and available aviation spokesmen to educate them. Reporters look for news. They have pages in a newspaper or hours of radio airtime to fill. There are plenty of slow news days. They will inflate even the smallest angle into a story.

I know; I was a news reporter. I reported plenty of stories that I didn't understand fully and/or weren't 100% newsworthy. Sometimes, stories are poorly attributed. Reporters print or air what their sources tell them without digging deeper, and the facts and impression portrayed can be distorted. Our newsroom's rule of thumb was to verify a story with two sources. But what if both sources are providing inaccurate information.

Now, we're hearing stories that the Tampa kid had the keys to the airplane for his preflight. People want to enact regulations prohibiting that practice. The reporting has been all one-sided. A good reporter would have sought reaction from an aviation professional, such as a chief instructor or FBO operator. Or an FAA Aviation Safety Counselor. That person(s) would have said that giving someone the keys and sending him out to preflight is an entirely normal part of a training flight. This would have given the event perspective by demonstrating that this was an isolated event. Perhaps then the hysteria would have been muted (can you mute hysteria? :) ).

Hopefully, AOPA will step up to the plate and educate Congress that this event was an anomaly before an hysterical public goes off the deep end and demands stupid overregulation of preflights :rolleyes:. You watch; it could happen.

Last edited:
Well said, yipstick and bobbysamd!!

Normally I wouldn't weigh in on this one, but I remembered a great quote that you guys who watch Fox might enjoy. I believe it was Churchill who said, " if you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; but if you're not a conservative at 40 you have no brain."

KiloMike, I enjoy reading your posts, and I think you might even be the left-leaning moderate you claim to be. Although I disagree with many of your posts on this board, I have to admit that you spell and punctuate better than most :) Just remember, most of the people on this board are conservatives who think THEY are moderates too, and if your plan is to convert them all, you have a long road ahead. I'll enjoy following your progress, though.

I've been gone a few days, but I want to weigh in again.
I disagreed with KM's post and challenged him to a friendly debate. His response was to call me names and such. I'm still waiting for the debate.
I agree with those who reported this post as being off-topic. I disagree with those who reported me for being an ultra-conservative to the Webmaster and having the audacity to chime in.
For the record, I would consider myself a moderate, though I deffinitely lean right. I also am a moderator on this board, a job I take seriously.
However, being a moderator isn't going to keep me from debating on this board. Such would be too boring to even bother coming here. In light of this, I don't appreciate those who feel the need to "tattle" to the webmaster because I voiced my opinion. If you want to debate me, then do it openly and thoughtfully. I promise I will respond in such, though perhaps in my own sarcastic way. Also, as I said before, the moderator hat is completely separate. I do not discriminate against those who debate me.
Just some thoughts I wanted to share, now back to the program...

I fly for food,

Tattle? I was just advising the Webmaster that I come to the board for aviation information and news and wanted to encourage the moderators to stick to the topic. I just feel that this is an aviation board. No politics had to enter the initial post whose point was that the Boston Globe does a poor job of reporting on aviation issues. This is an aviation board and that's what I want to read.

Latest resources

Back