• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let go from an instructing job

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't sweat it. This is avaition after all.

If it's following the trend, whoever canned you will be out of buisness in 14 months, and who they gonna call?

Yeah, unless there is more to the story, just have the employer write something to the effect that you both agreed that the best thing was to stop working to concentrate on your studies.

Although I don't see what the big deal is, I instructed in college and had no problem skipping classes to go instruct. O wait, that may explain my 2.2 gpa. Anyway it was a heck of a good 4.5 years, plus a summer term.

I got let go from a job, because flight instructing was conflicting too much with what they wanted. In all reality it was fine with me, because flight instructing was more important.

If you're on good terms, request a letter of recommendation.

In future consideration, how you exited your employment is a spin issue. Were you let go or downsized? Were you let go, or did you seek to concentrate more fully on your studies? How your future potential employers will see a separation is largely dependent on how you see it, and how you show it to them.

One may leave a job at the request of an employer but if it shows good judgement on your part, you still look good. Did you leave because you felt your schooling needed all your energy? Shows dedication on your part. Did you leave a job because you felt a higher level of safety was required? Good judgement on your part. Did you leave a job because...of something that shows a desirable trait on your part? This is a good thing.

If you were failing to show up for scheduled lessons and letting students down to the point that the school program had to fire you, than yes, that's a bad thing. If you elected to concentrate on your schooling, discussed the matter with the flight school, and came to the conclusion that you couldn't do both, then you've nothing to fear.

I'm not sure if you would even have to check that box on an application. Companies are only legally required to confirm your employment status (did you or did you not actually work for them) and your dates of employment.

Calls to HR departments seeking further information are routinely deflected. No company wants to risk the legal ramifications of giving out more information than required.

I Was In The Exact Same Situation

I earned my CFI while in university. I was instructing at a small field in suburban NY when academic pressures became too great for me to pull enough instruction hours for it to be worthwhile to either myself or my employer. Thus, I was "let go." Pretty much by mutual agreement.

I was on very good terms with the boss, and totally paranoid about what being "let go" would look like to potential future employers in the industry when I would have to check off one of those little boxes.

I asked my boss if he would write a letter to me, saying my work had been above par and that termination of my employment was by mutual agreement and due to the academic pressure of completing a dual major in math and physics (it was his idea to put this detail in the letter). He said, "Why don't you write something for me to sign." I did and he did, on corporate letterhead. I kept the original.

I haven't needed to submit this to any prospective employers because, coincidentally, I'm back working where I was before, while looking for another job. Thankfully, because the local economy has turned a bit, I'm pretty busy these days.

Maybe this idea is helpful to you?

Latest resources

Back