Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyGuy78

What up What up
Can any CFI's give me some advice on what to include when teaching a student secondary stalls during a ground lesson? Thanks for the help in advance.

flyguy,
First off review the recovery from a normal stall (power on or off). Then introduce to the student what may happen when the stall recovery is not executed properly; ex. increase back pressure too rapidly before the airplane has a chance to gain airspeed. There really is no difference between a normal stall and secondary stall. However knowing the correct technique to recover from a secondary stall and preventing a secondary stall from occuring could save his/her life.
Show them the order in which your control surfaces will be ineffective during a stall.
E-elevator
A-aileron
R-Rudder
During a stall your rudder is the last surface to become ineffective, instill that in your student so they which surface is going to give them the best performance and also so they can make a safer recovery. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!!

To put a finer point on it...

When I taught secondary stalls I wanted to impart three very (in my opinion) important things:

1) Secondary stalls usually occur when we rush a normal recovery.

2) The secondary stall will occur at a lower angle of attack.

3) The secondary stall will occur at a higher IAS.

You can easily demonstrate all three to your student.

Good luck.

Re: To put a finer point on it...

mar said:
2) The secondary stall will occur at a lower angle of attack.

I assume you mean deck angle not AOA. AOA will the the same.

Thats probably what you meant :)

Skeezer

Thanks for a diplomatic correction

Actually I meant AoA but after your response I did a little research (it's been awhile since I've had to teach these...).

As long as the discussion revolves around a 1g scenario then the AoA will remain the same as you point out.

But apparently some people consider these stalls to be 'accelerated stalls' (which I always associated with turning flight) but I suppose if you happen to pull more than 1g on the second recovery then the critical AoA will change.

Fly safe

Re: Thanks for a diplomatic correction

mar said:
but I suppose if you happen to pull more than 1g on the second recovery then the critical AoA will change.

I dunno, I am pretty sure that the critical AOA will not change at all. If you pull more that one G then the load factor will increase and the IAS (as well as the deck angle) at which the airfoil stalls will be higher but the critical AOA should not change at all.

However I could be wrong as I have been many times in the past. :)

Peace.

Skeezer

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back