Lesson Plan Confusion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PanAm24

I want to create my own lesson plan "binder" but I am confused about what it must contain. The lesson plan books I have seen vary widely in the way they are organized and in how much information they contain. What basic elements are needed in a lesson plan book? I am looking for any suggestions to help make the lesson plans book more useful.

Thanks!

Lesson plans

Go get your FOI and use its format to construct your lesson plans. The FOI is the only "accepted" lesson plan format. Save yourself some grief later by doing it the FAA's way.

Lesson Plans

Howdy!
I organized my CFI Binder into a table of contents, syllabus, each phase of the private certificate, checkride prep documents, checkride checklist, each phase of the commercial certificate, commercial checkride documents, upgrade and transition course plans, and avionics checkout documents.

My lesson plans are posted at: http://pages.prodigy.net/jedinein/cfi.html

HTH.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Have it your way

You do it one way for FAA and then which ever way is most useable for you in the future. They aren't going to comb through your lesson plans rather have you teach them. I taught school for quite a few years and I normally use the simple outline type lesson plan (example in FOI book)

The obj/ sched/ material/ instructor act/ stud act --- its BS and is almost always exactly same.

If you read the philosophy of lesson plans, they are for you to come up with a plan and organize the info you are going to teach. Spend your time on something you will actually use in the future. Your instructor notebook should be a proud bit of work.

I feel your pain. I'm working on the lesson plans and I bought the Quinlan book. My dilemma is how much info to put in without copying pages and pages of text from various FAA books. I'm using that book for an outline, then writing my own lesson plans and notes, but it seems like a monumental task. The Quinlan book does follow the PTS which helps. I'm doing the Commercial training and CFI at the same time and its a bear. I'm doing some flying at a local FBO in a 172 RG then out to Shebles in Vegas for a couple of weeks to try and knock out both checkrides. If all goes as planned I'll have the CFI by the end of Sept.. Good luck to you and safe flying.

The bulk of the FAA styled lesson plan is useless. You might check with the examiner you plan to use and see if he's anal about the format. Perhaps you can do better.

Latest resources

Back