LEO's armed on airplanes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

igneousy2

How can the same organization that comes up with all of these stupid security rules that don't do a damn thing, allow LEO's with guns on airplanes. Hicktown sheriffs like this wack job can carry their guns on airliners but I get hassled for my nail clippers!

CRANDON, Wisconsin (CNN) -- A small town in northern Wisconsin awoke to grief and questions Monday, a day after an off-duty sheriff's deputy shot and killed six people at an early-morning party. A seventh person at the party was critically injured in the shooting.
Tyler Peterson, a sheriff's deputy, shot and killed six people, police said. The shooter, 20, was killed by a police SWAT team Sunday afternoon, according to the town's mayor.

Does anyone actually take the TSA seriouslly anymore?

Actually hicktown cops like him can't just carry on an aircraft just becuase they have a badge. The only people who can do that are the Feds. For him to carry he would have to have been on official business with proof from his supervisor and also take a class on traveling armed.

I do wonder how a nutjob like him passed the psych eval to become a cop in the first place. Although he was pretty young, not enough time to screw up bad enough in life for it to show up on the background check.

Although he was pretty young, not enough time to screw up bad enough in life for it to show up on the background check.

Pretty young and not very bright.

Most of the smart ones know that they can go to Wharton and then work themselves into position as an airline CEO with the ability to loot and destroy thousands of lives, not just 6.

RIP to the victims

I thought you had to at least 21 to become a cop! I mean this was fight over high school girls!

Not true in California, all sworn officers are encouraged to carry weapons intra-state.

FAR's apply to any and all states. Even one as screwed up as Kalifornyah. They can carry on the ground but not in an airliner unless its O-ficial business.

I'll repeat: "Not true in California, all sworn officers are encouraged to carry weapons intra-state."

You are wrong, I am correct. It is not related to FARs, it is related to a California State law. The LEOs have to do the same stuff feds do, but they get to carry when local cops in other states only get to carry if they have a letter from their boss authorizing.

No letter for local cops needed in California.

In a legacy of Sept. 11, officers of the California Highway Patrol will be trained to thwart airline hijackings and will carry loaded weapons aboard flights within the state when they travel on official business.
Under the program, initiated by Gov. Gray Davis and approved this week by the Federal Aviation Administration, the special training is to be given to all the Highway Patrol's 8,500 officers.
''We're growing wings,'' said Tom Marshall, a spokesman for the agency.

I do wonder how a nutjob like him passed the psych eval to become a cop in the first place. Although he was pretty young, not enough time to screw up bad enough in life for it to show up on the background check.

Had he actually taken a comprehensive psych eval administered by a highly qualified police surgeon, he'd have been eliminated. No prob at all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back