Lektro tug info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

340drvr

Looking at different tug options, looks like the small Lektro (8600 series) would work for us. I've seen plenty at FBO's, but never used one. Specifically, I'm wondering about battery life and cost of replacements. Usage would be low, 2 or 3 times a week max. Any real-world info would be appreciated, thanks.

We purchased an 87 series last year and were told the batteries should last 10 years. The replacement cost of the batteries was a bit over $6k. Just make sure you check each battery cel every couple months. I have found 2 cels empty out of the dozens that were full.

Thanks, RJ, just the info I was looking for! (I guess I should have known those batteries would be a bit more than a couple of Sears Die-hards!)

We've had our 8600 for twenty years and I put the third set of batteries in it two years ago. I think they were around $3800. I don't know where you're located or what you're moving but ours gets chained up every winter to move the Ultra around. Without the chains it can barely get out of it's own way on snow/ice.

Thanks, RJ, just the info I was looking for! (I guess I should have known those batteries would be a bit more than a couple of Sears Die-hards!)
Unfortnately, they are 6 volt batteries, in series, that cost $$$ relative to standard automotive 12 volts. You could replace them with "Trojan" 6 volts and save a few bucks over what Lektro sells them for.

Just a thought, but if I needed batteries, I would go to an industrial battery supply/warehouse - where the farmers get their batteries.

Have you looked at the Priceless tugs, www.priceless tugs.com. They are the same concept as the Lektro but with a gas powered engine that works better, and costs much less to replace.

Latest resources

Back