Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
I'm considering restoring an Aeronca Champ this coming winter. The one I'm looking at is stock 7AC with no electrics.

What I'd like to do is upgrade to the 85hp continental and make it a 7BCM. I know where to get the STC for that one

While I have everything apart I want to run wiring out to the wingtips and tail for position lights and also add a landing light in the left wing. Along with that I'd also like to add a Becker AR-4201 panel mounted comm radio and intercom.

I'm sure I'd need a 337 for the lights and radio, but here is the question... I want to power the lights and radio with a removable gel-cell type battery NOT permanently attached to the a/c. Since the plane was never certified with electrics and never had them installed would I be exempt from the Mode C xponder requirements? I live under the mode C veil of a major airport and for weight and balance reasons i'd like to keep the plane as lightweight as possible.

I need the comm radio because its at a class D airport. and the lights would give some added utility of night ops.

What are your thought?

You also have the option of installing a wind driven generator/alternator. I submitted a request for exemption on an Ercoupe to operate with a limited capacity generator in a class B veil (Houston), and it was approved. It had position and landing lights, and a nav comm installed. The generator could not recharge the battery and operate a running load that included a transponder and encoder.

Good info on the wind generator. Is that a waiver specific only to the Houston airspace and within that FSDO only?

I'm really not too concerned about the duration of power. The champ will only be able to fly for 2 hrs with the stock fuel system (Hmm, maybe I should put a 4gal wing tank in...) I only intend to run the radio to get in and out of the class D airspace and the lights only to get home if I stay out past my curfew...

So my plan sounds legit then? Do the feds get touchy on what kind of battery I use or how its mounted to the plane?

Good info on the wind generator. Is that a waiver specific only to the Houston airspace and within that FSDO only?

The waiver was requested from Houston, since the aircraft was based in the Houston FSDO area of operations.

So my plan sounds legit then? Do the feds get touchy on what kind of battery I use or how its mounted to the plane?
I don't know how they would react since the battery does not have an onboard charging system. Sailplanes don't either, but I don't have any experience in that area. Mount it as close in compliance with advisory circular AC43.13-2B, and you should be gold.

Latest resources

Back