• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrokeFOsho

Works weekends
Hi there,

I'm leaving the Air Force since my pilot training commitment is up. I had a 1.5 year break in flying due to a skydiving accident back in 02'.

Ended up with 2000 TT all M/E turbine (C-130's) and about 800 of it PIC.

I guess what I'm getting at is when I leave the AF in March.... where should I go?

It looks like I'm qualified minimally for most of the majors, but since I put my apps out a week ago I've just heard back from Regionals mainly. Citation Shares also sent me a follow up questionaire.

Any thoughts? I'll give a six pack to whoever leads me the right way!

Cheers!

Rob

Stay in the AF, get your 20 years in, retire, then come back here and ask the same question. The benefits of staying in and getting a full pension and still having 20+ years of civilian flying ahead of you, far outweigh leaving now and walking into a very unstable hiring picture, especially with a declining economy ahead of us. Getting furloughed with a pension and insurance is better than getting furloughed without.

Yeah, my mind's made up...officially....have a separation date of 31 may. So that being said, any advice on the transition civil side?

You're very light in PIC time to be competitive for the majors right now. Lots of guys with much higher total time and PIC time. Good luck surviving the compensation of a regional, as well as the poor treatment by regional managements.

Commercial aviation has a pathetic work environment and pay ever since ALPA was turned into a lapdog by UAL, US Air, Delta, and NW's managements.

With a recession coming, this is not a good time to try and enter the outside job market.

It looks like I'm qualified minimally for most of the majors,

Hmmm...tried to type a reply but read that and ended up choking on a jolly rancher. Qualified?

You might consider the guard or reserve. Bumming would probably pay better than a regional plus it's a good place to connect with pilots at various airlines.

CS would easily be your best bet if you don't receive any love from the majors. Might be your TT is too low for the majors as there are plenty of people I know of with minimal PIC Turbine who are getting calls from majors w/o 1000 PIC Turbine. They are typically 3000TT or greater though.

Mr. I.

Latest resources

Back