• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrokeFOsho

Works weekends
Hi there,

I'm leaving the Air Force since my pilot training commitment is up. I had a 1.5 year break in flying due to a skydiving accident back in 02'.

Ended up with 2000 TT all M/E turbine (C-130's) and about 800 of it PIC.

I guess what I'm getting at is when I leave the AF in March.... where should I go?

It looks like I'm qualified minimally for most of the majors, but since I put my apps out a week ago I've just heard back from Regionals mainly. Citation Shares also sent me a follow up questionaire.

Any thoughts? I'll give a six pack to whoever leads me the right way!

Cheers!

Rob

I would reconsider staying in until you have your 20 years. Or at the least finding a guard/reserve job. from a guy who did just that and hasn't regretted it one bit.

Ditto what Airbum said.

If you can find an ANG/AFR slot, take it. You continue to fly and it's easier to find a flying job when you have a flying job. I know lots of pilots who "bummed" while on furlough from multiple carriers. That's insurance which is hard to come by.

I retired after 20 years. As a gray area retiree, I get everything except the pay and medical coverage. The medical coverage available at 60 is more important than the pay.

If you're married, make sure your spouse is on board with this. I was in for 14 years when my wife and I met. She wanted me to resign then and there. I explained why we should wait until I got 20 years. She agreed, but said "at 20, you're mine...I won't share you anymore than that!"

Fly safe!

Slim
ARNG, Ret.

Some people are going to tell you stay in but as ex-military member some people don't understand the military concept. So if you don't want to stay in I can understand that even though as flying is concerned it is probably a safe thing. I hope you are prepared for the civilian flying rollercoaster. I wouldn't go to a regional in your position unless you can find anything else. The fractionals would probably be your best bet. So if you are getting a response from Citation Shares I would be all over it.

Little Late

Some people are going to tell you stay in but as ex-military member some people don't understand the military concept. So if you don't want to stay in I can understand that even though as flying is concerned it is probably a safe thing. I hope you are prepared for the civilian flying rollercoaster. I wouldn't go to a regional in your position unless you can find anything else. The fractionals would probably be your best bet. So if you are getting a response from Citation Shares I would be all over it.
You're a little late there champ. Original thread says he's leaving (already left actually) in March. ;)

1. Find a Guard or Reserve Job...lots of 130 units out there.

2. Sign up for the GI Bill, and use the money to get your law degree.

1. Find a Guard or Reserve Job...lots of 130 units out there.

2. Sign up for the GI Bill, and use the money to get your law degree.

...or an MBA or something else. You'll have more stability and make more money faster if you get you flying fix through the Guard or Reserves and get a day job to pay the bills.

rforbess -- guess you're well under way to some new job since your post was in Jan.

Hopefully you did go with the ANG or Reserves and are considering other options besides the airline as a career to depend on. Most majors pilots I know are doing something else to generate income/stability for their future outside of the airline.

So, if you want to chase the airline dream, make sure you can survive the insanity of the hire/furlough/rehire/displacement/paycut/bankruptcy cycle the airlines are stuck in.

Latest resources

Back