Leaving Comair - 1 Year Later

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BenderGonzales

Can't believe it's already been a year since I left Comair and, frankly, it looks like it was the right decision.

I made the decision to leave after Fred Buttrell met with the pilots in the trailer and talked about how we would have to be competitive with Chautauqua in order to grow. I believe at the time they were pushing a pay freeze.

I remember thinking, "this place has no future". Here I was, 2 years after being furloughed from a major, wondering if the same would happen at Comair. We were absorbing lost Delta flying (which was emotionally painful as I had a lot of furloughed Delta friends) and now, we had to compete with other regionals simply to maintain the status quo. Chautauqua had started parking at the "C" gates. The rumor de'jour was that we would get the Dornier Jets .... IF we played ball.

Enough was enough.

So -- who else has left Comair over the last year? And do you feel as though you made the right decision? Any move in aviation is a gamble these days. The question for me was, "Do I really want to gamble on a company that is forced to compete to fly for whatever scraps Delta wants to toss our way?" That didn't sound like a formula for long-term job security to me.

Who else? and Why?

BenderGonzales said:
Can't believe it's already been a year since I left Comair and, frankly, it looks like it was the right decision.

I made the decision to leave after Fred Buttrell met with the pilots in the trailer and talked about how we would have to be competitive with Chautauqua in order to grow. I believe at the time they were pushing a pay freeze.

I remember thinking, "this place has no future". Here I was, 2 years after being furloughed from a major, wondering if the same would happen at Comair. We were absorbing lost Delta flying (which was emotionally painful as I had a lot of furloughed Delta friends) and now, we had to compete with other regionals simply to maintain the status quo. Chautauqua had started parking at the "C" gates. The rumor de'jour was that we would get the Dornier Jets .... IF we played ball.

Enough was enough.

So -- who else has left Comair over the last year? And do you feel as though you made the right decision? Any move in aviation is a gamble these days. The question for me was, "Do I really want to gamble on a company that is forced to compete to fly for whatever scraps Delta wants to toss our way?" That didn't sound like a formula for long-term job security to me.

Who else? and Why?

Did you find a better position elsewhere? Is your current situation more stable (not sure if that's possible in this business unless you fly for SWA or Fedex/UPS)?

Good for you, I will be doing the same in the future. There is no future at any of the regionals.

I left Comair in June to work outside of aviation. Unfortunately, that didn't work out as well as I expected so I'm back to flying again. I left because I felt the airline industry is no longer worth being involved with. I spent 10 years working for airlines (5 as a dispatcher and 5 as a pilot) and I've only seen it get worse over the years. Those coveted jobs at the majors aren't so coveted any more. When I walked out through the turnstyles in CVG for the last time I felt a huge relief and I never looked back on my decision. I had some great times at Comair and worked with some great people but I needed to move on. I have no regrets about working there, and I have no regrets about leaving.

Good luck to you!

C425Driver

Part 91 corporate flight department.

Best kept secret in aviation. I love it. Although there is no such thing as "job security" in aviation, I think that using an airplane as a tool to conduct business is more secure than the airline business model.

Management knows that these airplanes are a cost center and generate no revenue. They use them specifically for business -- essentially to "buy time".

Also keeps the CEO from having to be frisked by TSA. ;)

I too enjoyed my time at Comair. Being furloughed from the majors and going back to be a regional F/O was tough (both from an EGO standpoint and a financial standpoint) but most of the Comair folks made me feel welcome.

I hope that, ultimately, I was wrong -- and that they survive and prosper

Bender,
Did you find jesus? This has to be the most honest non- bashing post you've made yet. I'm impressed (not that you care) Keep up the positive posts. Some of us actually enjoy reading success stories.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back