Leaving Aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snowman64

For any of the prior military guys who are thinking of leaving civilian aviation, there are many recruiting firms that specialize in JMO's (Junior Military Officers).

Does anybody have any experience with any of these firms, and does anybody have any recommendations as to which ones to use and which ones to avoid?

Thanks!

Signed: Another (soon to be) former airline pilot

When I was in the navy we would have an annual "carreer day" event in which there were representatives from the airlines, businesses, head hunters, and the navy personnel command. Everyone would pitch the pros and cons of leaving the military and life as a civilian. At almost every one of these things a rep from the "Lucas Group" would show up. They specialize in head hunting for JO's. Their website is http://www.lucasgroup.com/

I thought that they were a bit overbearing, but they also seemed to know what they were doing. I still get their mass emails about job opportunities for JO's. Another firm that my buddy used (also specializing in JO placement) was "Orion International" (http://www.orioninternational.com/). He was pretty happy with them and landed a good job.

General Electric has a great program for former JO's. It's called JOLP (Junior Officer Leadership Program) You participate in a 2-year long internship program where you spend time working in most of the GE divisions (Energy, finance, engineering, entertainment, etc). At the end, you choose the division you want to work in. I have a buddy (former pilot) doing that and he loves it (http://www.gepower.com/about/careers/en/military_officers/index.htm).

Good luck.

Thanks for the Info

Oh Ryan,

Thanks for the information. Those are the same two firms that I heard about the most. There must be a reason for that.

That GE information sounds really interesting...any idea what your buddy is earning in the internship program? With wife and kids I can't afford to go backwards anymore than I already have.

Thanks!

Snowman64

I think it was in the mid $50K range for the two years that you are in the program and then it shot up to around 70K when he finished up.

He will probably never get rich there, but he has the potential to make 6 figures in a few more years. They have good bennies and a defined benefit pension plan.

Snowman64 said:
That beats the money I'm making as an FO...I'm going to send them a resume.

Snow--Would you have any interest in returning to RW flying? Pay and QOL is better than the typical regional airline lifestyle. With your background, it might even work nicely into a corporate dual-rated position depending on your location. Best of luck!

Hawk

Hey Hawk,

Yes, a corporate gig with both FW and RW would be ideal. Seems like all the corporate jobs have very high minimums though.

By the way, were you an Army Hawk driver? If so, when and where?

Snowman64

(Hood; Camp Stanley,ROK; Drum; ARNG: NH, TX, IN)

Snowman64 said:
Hey Hawk,

Yes, a corporate gig with both FW and RW would be ideal. Seems like all the corporate jobs have very high minimums though.

By the way, were you an Army Hawk driver? If so, when and where?

Snowman64

(Hood; Camp Stanley,ROK; Drum; ARNG: NH, TX, IN)

Sent you a PM.

Disregard. Just noticed I haven't posted on FI in over a year. Just making sure my account isn't deactivated.

Latest resources

Back