Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fuzzy_is_Hungry

Burninating the Peasants
Do you guys think it looks bad to leave a flying job after only a few months? What if the move is to improve your QOL or gain better experience? Is this going to look bad at interviews down the road? Do I run the risk of making fellow pilots at my current company mad, and that might come back to haunt me later? I'd really like to hear from guys in some kind of hiring postion at their company. So what do you think?

It's apparent from most resumes when a person has made an upward move versus a lateral move. I wouldn't have any problem with the 3 month duration, as long as all other employment was of significantly longer duration.

Just be able to explain it when asked.

Don't have any personal experience, but my boyfriend was at an interview and (according to him) they used the process of elimination to weed out a couple of guys, they looked at time per job and the reason for leaving. So, make sure its a VERY justifiable reason that any HR person would understand...just to gain a bit of extra bucks will make anybody weiry on hiring you, personally I would bite the bullet a bit and show that you can endure "hard times", but then again I don't know your QOL.....

This topic has been discussed here many times, and I think a lot of peoplehere agree that if the company had to let you go now, they wouldn't hessitate just because you have only been there 3 months. Try not to burn your bridges and be honest with your current employer. I'd do what's best for me. That being said I would play like the monkey. Don't let go of your hand unless you are grabbing another branch with your tail, don't leave without a job!!

Best of luck man.

However while the above views and opinions are valid, you are the one living your life and you have to do what is right and best for you. I have never been too big on the idea of predicating your life choices to satisfy some potential future HR weenie in an interview, unless ladder climbing is your sole existence in life.

There are issues like Quality of life, pay, scheduling, family concerns, that directly affect your life,and might not fit into a cookie cutter mentality that HR might want to see. Maybe it makes me a bit of a contrarian, but I have always tried to be an individual, even in aviation.

Dont be so fixated on the sometimes non-existent "dream job" destination, that you forget to have fun during the journey there. It is your life to live, and I just cant suggest basing your life decisions on "what would a interviewer think". Being happy in life involves a whole lot more than what you fly.

That might make me a lonely voice in the wilderness, but so be it.

Fuzzy_is_Hungry said:
Do you guys think it looks bad to leave a flying job after only a few months? What if the move is to improve your QOL or gain better experience? Is this going to look bad at interviews down the road? Do I run the risk of making fellow pilots at my current company mad, and that might come back to haunt me later? I'd really like to hear from guys in some kind of hiring postion at their company. So what do you think?
Two shools of thought:

One-I personally would give any employer willing to give me an opportunity at least the benefit of one year's worth of employment, even without a contract. It's just me...that's how I feel.

Two-They want a year, but they will can you in an instant if you fall from grace.

Good luck with whatever you do 414.

just don't make it a habit. you may appear fickle. upward mobility is fine--but too many short stays on your CV doesn't show well. employers like solid and stable people with a proven track record.:)

Latest resources

Back