Leave GLA for SKW? Now a good time??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello everyone.

I have this dilemma, and am asking your opinion.

I'm currently an FO at Lakes, and have an offer from SKW (crj). I don't care about bases, and will probably have the seniority to upgrade at lakes within the next 8-12 months (things have slowed lately).

I came to lakes chasing the fast upgrade, but have since realized that few people have moved on to anything better than Skywest, PSA, Chautauqua, Kalitta, Expressnet... Sure, a few people have gone to Fedex, Southwest, Am West...but they all knew or were related to someone there. I don't have a very good network set-up (previous job at a part 61 school).

So, while I love the flying and airplane, and hate the company (who doesn't?), and I knew about this when I first came here, I did not realize that so few people have been able to land any solid long-term jobs (is there really such a thing anymore?) out of lakes.

If you were me, would this still be a good time to jump ship and head for SKW? Again, bases are not important, I'll live in domicile regardless. Has the hiring boom ended at SKW, am I going to park in the right seat for 8 years? I know current upgrade in the crj is about 1.5-2 years at ORD. What is the average monthly attrition? Looking down the road, and the current shakeup at NW and DL, would this be a good career move, in you opinion?

Thanks in advance.

absolutely yes...just ask the 200-300 former lakers here at SkyWest.

Mookie

If it were me I would stay for the PIC time. Get 1000 hours PIC under your belt and then you will have many more opportunities to choose from later on. I know it is bad there and all but tough it out just a while longer if you can. The PIC time is a requirement for AirTran, and they love commuter guys, especially 1900 drivers.

I'm not sure about Skywest. Seems like with this ASA thing as well as Delta's problems you may get there and get furloughed. Good luck.

OverspeedCowboy said:
Hello everyone.

I have this dilemma, and am asking your opinion.

I'm currently an FO at Lakes, and have an offer from SKW (crj). I don't care about bases, and will probably have the seniority to upgrade at lakes within the next 8-12 months (things have slowed lately).

I came to lakes chasing the fast upgrade, but have since realized that few people have moved on to anything better than Skywest, PSA, Chautauqua, Kalitta, Expressnet... Sure, a few people have gone to Fedex, Southwest, Am West...but they all knew or were related to someone there. I don't have a very good network set-up (previous job at a part 61 school).

So, while I love the flying and airplane, and hate the company (who doesn't?), and I knew about this when I first came here, I did not realize that so few people have been able to land any solid long-term jobs (is there really such a thing anymore?) out of lakes.

If you were me, would this still be a good time to jump ship and head for SKW? Again, bases are not important, I'll live in domicile regardless. Has the hiring boom ended at SKW, am I going to park in the right seat for 8 years? I know current upgrade in the crj is about 1.5-2 years at ORD. What is the average monthly attrition? Looking down the road, and the current shakeup at NW and DL, would this be a good career move, in you opinion?

Thanks in advance.

MY observation here! Seems like the industry has reached capacity. The only way to get growth is to replace. It is very possible that places like SKY CHQ could have 8000-10000 pilots in the 10 years. Especially if ALPA doesn't get it together. There are alot of people in denial in this industry and think they should make 500K/year, but those days are gone! There is not very muck risk in the job today, and there are flight schools churning out pilots by the thousands. Textbook economics folks!

UALX727 said:
I'm not sure about Skywest. Seems like with this ASA thing as well as Delta's problems you may get there and get furloughed. Good luck.

SkyWest has never furloughed a pilot in its history.

Rogue5 said:
SkyWest has never furloughed a pilot in its history.

You, my friend, have not been in this business too long have you? Never is a long time.

Now for the original question. My advice would be to stay and get the PIC time. This opens the door for more opportunity. You will probably never be this close to an upgrade as you are now. I had buddies at lakes that went over to AWAC, hoping for that quick upgrade. They ended up rotting away in the right seat of a CRJ for four years. They finally did upgrade and were finally making $55 an hour. The thing you will find is a regional is a regional. The schedules and legs flown are mostly the same. Now I have worked at lakes, so I do feel your pain. I know about the junior man, low pay, the list could go on forever. Just be careful of the greener pasture.

As far as networking, it is never too late. Every person you come into contact with can help you or hurt you down the road. Keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that Lakers are highly respected in this industry both as pilots and the fact that they can deal with the BS any company can throw at them.

Please don't take this as boasting but it took me under four years to go from a 1900 f/o (flying to Worland) to a 757 f/o (flying to Maui) at a major. Only 2 and half of that was at GLA. Remember the choice is yours. Also consider this is a bad time in this industry. Just make sure you position yourself when the hiring wave starts again.

Good luck.

Capt.LongThrust said:
You, my friend, have not been in this business too long have you? Never is a long time.

Don't quite get your point "friend," but the fact remains the same.

Just something to consider when making a career decision...

Hello,
Remember, nothing is guaranteed, where do you wanna be when/if the music stops? Lakes or SKYW? 1000PIC will get you where? The ability to stand in line with thousands of other pilots, some furloughed with multiple type ratings and many thousands of hours in something other than a 1900. It seems that the people who are getting on at the few carriers who are hiring have the 1000PIC met, but also have the networking thing nailed down. The guys who are singing the praises about 1000PIC are guys who were hired at the majors when a pulse was the only requirement and the guys who are chasing the 1000PIC and listening to the former with rapt attention and slogging around a 1900 or EMB for $hit pay and workrules. For every guy who gets hired with 1000PIC and no other large experience there are 100-1000s who are applying without success. In other words do what will make you happy in the shortterm and will help the longterm plan come together as well.
PBR
P.S. I have flown with a few Lakers and they all were happy with the decision to come over to SKYW.

Last edited:
SKYW is a great move. The only thing I'd be concerned about is a potential integration with ASA that could delay upgrade for a junior guy. SKYW management has publicly stated that they intend to operate the 2 carriers separately but I have heard rumors that the ASA union leadership may file a single carrier petition that could force integration. Again that's only a rumor and I have yet to speak with anyone from the ASA MEC. If anyone from ASA knows about it please post what you know.

I'm not so sure PIC time at Lakes is going to translate into a bunch of job offers. You're competing with a lot of guys that have 1000's of hours of glass jet time in the RJ or ERJ. For pax airlines you're looking at WN, AS, B6, CO, and possibly Airtran or Spirit. For WN it's going to be $7K just for the shot at an interview but they don't seem to mind hiring turboprop guys. Not sure about CO but the domciles are unappealing for many. Plus they seem to be hiring guys without PIC anyway. AS is a crapshoot. It's historically been a tough nut to crack. I do know some turboprop captains that have gone there though. B6 seems to prefer glass jet time.

There are many opportunities on the freight side but I know some carriers aren't going to be impressed with 1900 time.

One undeniable advantage of SKYW is you'll never fly an aircraft without an APU installed and you'll have 1 or 2 of the best FA's in the industry. The final question is if you get stuck at the same carrier for the next 5-10 years would you prefer where you are now or SKYW?

I think that if you can handle it, I’d stick with Lakes for some PIC before jumping ship. I'd guess upgrade at SKYW could be a long time if they integrate the two pilot groups, which is something to consider. If I were considering any regional, SKYW would be one of the two most desired on my list.

TA

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back