Leave CHQ for AirWis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyguy757

Just wanted to get a feeling from you folks. I've been at CHQ 4 years and am a relatively senior captain on the jet. I reside in an AirWis domicile, making AirWis very attractive. Got an interview with a possible tough decision to make. Any thoughts? Going to FO pay will stink, but in the big picture it could be a better move. Can't wait to sit reserve at home instead of a crashpad. Or better yet, bid reserve cause I want to enjoy staying home a bit more on occassion. At CHQ we have no trip or duty rig, no retirement, no actual vacation even, however I do have great job security being so far up the seniority list. Commuting is the worst part of my job. Can eliminate it by going to AirWis. Good move? Bad move? Am I nuts? Don't answer that last question...LOL

Stay

Ask yourself this one question. Another Force Majeur event happens and furloughs start happening. WHERE would you be? You would be exactly where I am ....out of a job and dieing to be in your former job at your former seniority. Not a good time to swap boats in my opinion.

Humble

I agree with Humblepilot ... I'd probably stay put. I understand the allure of Air Wis for sure, but as mentioned, your seniority has a great deal of value.

As far as living in an Air Wis domicile goes, there's no guarantee you'd get that base as a new-hire. If not, you'd be commuting (still) to sit reserve as an FO until you were able to bid a new base.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

R

Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this decision. I too have 4 years seniority (with Mesaba), but I'm a fairly junior captain now because of all the furloughs and displacements. Now the company's looking at buying an alter-ego carrier to undercut our contract negotiations. Also looking at being displaced back to F.O. in a couple months with more furloughs coming.

Keep thinking I wouldn't be setting myself back much if I could get on with a carrier with a relatively fast upgrade as far as pay goes, but would lose job security, vacation, 401k vesting (not that our plan is that great anyway), etc. Plus I just moved my family from Denver to Detroit (yeah I know) a little over a year ago so I wouldn't have to commute anymore. So I have to decide.....do I hold out here and hope that things get better like a lot of people at US-Air did for soo long (look where they're at now), or do I jump from what everyone perceives to be a sinking ship before things get any worse??

I've submitted a few resume's but still having a hard time deciding what to do if I should get a call. By the way, for those of you who are furloughed, I know you probably want to tar and feather me (here's a guy with a job whining about looking for other employment), but I'm just trying to do the best thing for my family right now. I hope things turn around real soon and wish everyone the best. Good luck to all.

I cannot believe that you are even considered making a move like this!! Let me see if I have the facts straight here:
- You are a fairly senior captain, building PIC 121 time.
- You are a commuter, so life kinda sucks in that aspect.
- You live in a AirWis city, so you constantly see the grass is greener situation.

You have got to keep you eye on the goal you're after.

If it's to eventually fly for a major, then:
DO NOT MOVE!! You are building PIC 121 time, and that is your only ticket out of the regional world. I know commuting sucks sometimes but, what happens if nother blow to the industry happen like Humblepilot talked about? You will have no idea when you will ever get back to building PIC 121 again...IF EVER! Also, how will you ever explain making lateral jumps between companies to a HR person? All majors ONLY want to see vertical jumps! (i.e. - CFI to cargo or 135 to 121 commuter to final job) All you are telling them is "wow, I have a job as a captain, but times are a little tough so i'll jump ship to another company and be the bottom of the list" NOT GOOD.

If you're goal is to get with a good regional and that is you're final stop, then:
Proceed carefully... Air Wisky is a much better company than CHQ, but if something happens to burst the bubble, you are out on the street working at McDonalds!!!!

This second choice you must proceed very carefully, and only if Air Wis is you're FINAL career choice. Even if it is, find out from pilots in the company what the near term issues are with regard to reserve, movement in the seniority list, EVERYTHING!!!

Good luck!
Cheers

Latest resources

Back