Leather Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CL604DRVR said:
Mine came from Perrone. It bled all over two shirts during a January rain last winter. It hung in the closet for the rest of the winter and that is where it will be this year too. I can't afford to replace shirts.

Mine did that as well. I spoke to a representative at Perrone about it. He had me send them the jacket and they replaced the collar. No proplems since then. He also volunteered the fact that my inside liner was defective and replaced that too.

FS

PurpleInMEM said:
, but anything's better than being dressed like someone that drives ships. Aye Aye, Cap'n!.

For those that don't know...this is called tailhook envy.... three wire style....

I had a post for Alaska/Horizon guys about the same subject last month, and they weren't too happy about San Diego Leather.

If you want the BEST flight jacket you can get, buy one from the internationally-known Langlitz Leather in Portland OR. They have been making motorcycle leathers for about 60 years now, and make a pilot coat too. Totally tailored, unbelievable service, they will repair their own stuff for you because they built it, they know how to repair it.

On the downside, getting a pilot coat from them will cost a minimum of about $750, maybe a lot more if you want a lot of options. Not cheap. Also, they usually have at least a one month lead time to make you a jacket after you order it. Sometimes quite a bit longer. On the other hand, your coat will be as good as or better than new 20 years from now. Then you can hand it down to a relative. You can't say that about many clothes of any kind. And hey, it's part of your uniform...you can write it off!

Their web site is http://www.langlitz.com If you contact them, you will likely get an email back right from Dave Hansen, who runs the place. Hope this is helpful.

--shroom

Last edited:
ExpressJet switched to Gibson and Barnes last year. They make a very good jacket. I've been happy with mine. They have the zip-out liner. The jacket is quite warm without it. I think I've put the lining in once.

Thedude said:
FN FAL must be too sexy for his clothes
Hehehehehe...I made tacos tonight and they didn't look like they did on the recipe card either! :D

ERfly said:
ExpressJet switched to Gibson and Barnes last year. They make a very good jacket. I've been happy with mine. They have the zip-out liner. The jacket is quite warm without it. I think I've put the lining in once.

Gibson & Barnes is AA's vendor, excellent quality... however, I don't particularly like the cloth waistband and cloth sleeves, they tend to wear easily (plus, it looks too military for my taste.) The red and silver epaulets / red nametag that AA chose is just plain tacky. However, you can't beat it for convenience in the winter. The liner is almost always too warm. They sell for about $320.

From what I've heard from all my buds at other airlines, Perrone makes the best looking jacket. Also check out the Independence Air pilot jackets, they look really cool - no epaulets and it's got the Mafia style long look.

Hugh Johnson said:
the only real leather flight jackets are issued in Pensacola.

I know where you're coming from, I have one. But they are the worst leather jackets ever (but getting one is the key)!

Just looked at the lable on mine (Airtran) and it's Cooper, very good in my book!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back