LEAR70 (AirTran)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello Lear70,
I too am extremely thankful for your sacrifice in these matters. I am curious about who the other members of your advisory board are and how AP selected them?

Hello Lear70,
I too am extremely thankful for your sacrifice in these matters. I am curious about who the other members of your advisory board are and how AP selected them?
I am too...

Seriously, some of them we know, some of them we don't yet. The first "meeting" is set up for this Monday at 0730 in ATL, so I'm sure I'll know more then.

To be quite honest with you, I think they're trying to pull a broad spectrum of highly-visible people who can take this back to the line when they get a new T.A. who they *hope* will be personally vested in it enough to help "sell" it.

My personal thought on it is that if you have to "sell" it, it's not worth having to begin with. A good contract should sell itself.

My personal goals remain the same:

1. Fix Scope - keep it current book or require that if they want bigger aircraft, they can have them for 12-18 months to evaluate profitability, but then they have to bring them on property and negotiate a wage for it.

2. Bind the holding company, even by side letter as long as it REALLY binds AirTran Holdings to the ENTIRE Section 1: Intent, Scope, Merger & Acquisition, and Successorship.

3. Fix Scheduling. This alone will take weeks - I've come up with over 40 changes that are REQUIRED just to take it BACK to current book. It would be easier just to take current book and fix the loopholes, but unfortunately I doubt the company will allow that to happen - they got WAY too much ground given to them in Section 5. Needless to say, anything that has Core Block or loss of Door Close in it is an IMMEDIATE "no" vote from me.

4. Fix the pay rates. We don't need a 15 year pay scale. Evenly distribute what's there, make sure EVERYONE gets AT LEAST 9% (COLA), and preferably more, and bring the F/O's up to industry AVERAGE, which is about 8-12% more than they offered, and put in a clause that increases ALL wages 2.5% or more every year after the amendable date so we can maintain our existing pay through the 2-3 years of negotiations next time. If that takes more money, too bad. Welcome to being a successful company at the beginning of an industry upswing.

5. Fix Retirement & Insurance. Protect our retiree's health benefits. Reinstate existing coverages for loss of license. Lock in cost increases in Copays and Premiums to not more than the yearly increase in the CPI or Inflation. Lower premiums down to something closer to industry standard.

6. Fix the hotel section. The hotel broker has GOT to go... We're getting hosed on that deal, and I'm tired of staying in the crappiest hotel in town, no matter where we go, or staying in a property that is undergoing renovation, just to get kicked out once it's really nice.

7. Fix the grievance process changes, training changes, misc changes here and there that add or remove language that hurts us.

Like I said before, there's just SO much to do, and not a lot of time to do it in, that I just don't know what we'll be successful in doing except opening the Association's and the Company's eyes so when it dies, they know what NOT to do next time.

The changes we need are going to take a LOT of time unless the company is prepared to give a LOT of ground in a BIG hurry...

Lear,

Keep us updated if you can (if that's allowed).

Don't back down from the pressures to come, (arm twisting). Stick to your gut, I believe you are speaking for many of us out there on the list.

Thanks, you will do a great job.

I am too...

Seriously, some of them we know, some of them we don't yet. The first "meeting" is set up for this Monday at 0730 in ATL, so I'm sure I'll know more then.

To be quite honest with you, I think they're trying to pull a broad spectrum of highly-visible people who can take this back to the line when they get a new T.A. who they *hope* will be personally vested in it enough to help "sell" it.

My personal thought on it is that if you have to "sell" it, it's not worth having to begin with. A good contract should sell itself.

My personal goals remain the same:

1. Fix Scope - keep it current book or require that if they want bigger aircraft, they can have them for 12-18 months to evaluate profitability, but then they have to bring them on property and negotiate a wage for it.

2. Bind the holding company, even by side letter as long as it REALLY binds AirTran Holdings to the ENTIRE Section 1: Intent, Scope, Merger & Acquisition, and Successorship.

3. Fix Scheduling. This alone will take weeks - I've come up with over 40 changes that are REQUIRED just to take it BACK to current book. It would be easier just to take current book and fix the loopholes, but unfortunately I doubt the company will allow that to happen - they got WAY too much ground given to them in Section 5. Needless to say, anything that has Core Block or loss of Door Close in it is an IMMEDIATE "no" vote from me.

4. Fix the pay rates. We don't need a 15 year pay scale. Evenly distribute what's there, make sure EVERYONE gets AT LEAST 9% (COLA), and preferably more, and bring the F/O's up to industry AVERAGE, which is about 8-12% more than they offered, and put in a clause that increases ALL wages 2.5% or more every year after the amendable date so we can maintain our existing pay through the 2-3 years of negotiations next time. If that takes more money, too bad. Welcome to being a successful company at the beginning of an industry upswing.

5. Fix Retirement & Insurance. Protect our retiree's health benefits. Reinstate existing coverages for loss of license. Lock in cost increases in Copays and Premiums to not more than the yearly increase in the CPI or Inflation. Lower premiums down to something closer to industry standard.

6. Fix the hotel section. The hotel broker has GOT to go... We're getting hosed on that deal, and I'm tired of staying in the crappiest hotel in town, no matter where we go, or staying in a property that is undergoing renovation, just to get kicked out once it's really nice.

7. Fix the grievance process changes, training changes, misc changes here and there that add or remove language that hurts us.

Like I said before, there's just SO much to do, and not a lot of time to do it in, that I just don't know what we'll be successful in doing except opening the Association's and the Company's eyes so when it dies, they know what NOT to do next time.

The changes we need are going to take a LOT of time unless the company is prepared to give a LOT of ground in a BIG hurry...

Don't forget about SAP! THe Sap II LOA was a complete failure, yet in the TA they have that same control over both SAP's?!?! We can't give up one of the best things about this place.

Don't forget about SAP! THe Sap II LOA was a complete failure, yet in the TA they have that same control over both SAP's?!?! We can't give up one of the best things about this place.
Yeah, that's part of the 40+ things I have down for the Scheduling section...

That whole section is a complete MESS. :(

Recall effort is still out there.

Since I'm joining their efforts, I felt it rather rude to leave up, plus I've always said if AP changes his ways and gets aggressive for his pilots, I'd support him, so I'm waiting to see how everything goes.

We'll see what happens this week and next, and go from there. I honestly don't know what the status of how many signatures they have. Last I heard it was about 1/3 of the way, 80 signatures out of about 240 needed.

I suggested to a board member 2 weeks ago about getting you involved in reworking of TA. I was glad when he said they were already working on that. Thanks for accepting this challenge. I can relax a bit now knowing that there will be someone competent in DC to represent us.
Thanks man!

Latest resources

Back