Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XLDaddy

what would steve do?
Was in Eagle yesterday and saw the airport crash crew putting what looked like a -35 into the main hanger across from VVJC, with a crane. I would not think much of it except for the fact it was missing most of the landing gear and the wings and tip tanks showed fire damage. Oh ya, the engines were missing as well. I was in a hurry so I only found out that it occured during landing and there were three injuries. Any info?

I don't know anything about it, but there's always one or two a year going off the end in EGE. I can vividly remember being numero uno for Take off and watching a Challenger land, he just kept going, and going. Nobody was hurt and it didn't look like there was any damage to the Challenger, just a vivid reminder not to become complacent.

Apparently the operator was Aspen Aviation and they were taking a cancer patient back and forth to Aspen for treatment, from some info I read. According to the FAA's registry, N620JM is registered ny Aspen Base Operation, Inc., with 2 other owners also listed.

Here's some info from the FAA's website on the occurence:

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 620JM Make/Model: LJ35 Description: 35, 36 (C-21, RC-35, RC-36, U-36)
Date: 07/15/2005 Time: 0845

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
ACFT ON LANDING, SKIDDED INTO A FIELD AND CAUGHT FIRE, EAGLE, CO

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 2 Unk:
# Pass: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 2 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: WIND 290 AT 4 VIS10 SKY CLR

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Landing Operation: Air Carrier

Departed: ASPEN, CO Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: EAGLE, CO Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: DENVER, CO (NM03) Entry date: 07/18/2005

NTSB Identification: DEN05LA111
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Part 135: Air Taxi & Commuter
Accident occurred Friday, July 15, 2005 in Eagle, CO
Aircraft: Gates Learjet 35A, registration: N620JM
Injuries: 4 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On July 15, 2005, at 0845 mountain daylight time, a Gates Learjet Corporation 35A, N620JM, was substantially damaged when during landing roll the airplane departed the runway at the Eagle-Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE), Eagle, Colorado, collapsed the landing gear, and subsequently caught on fire. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The unscheduled, domestic, on-demand medical transport flight from Aspen, Colorado, to EGE was operating on a visual flight rules flight plan under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 135. The captain, first officer, and 2 passengers, a patient and a flight nurse, sustained minor injuries.

According to tower operator, the airplane touched down normal on runway 29. The operator said the captain said something over the radio, which caused him to look in the direction of the airplane. The tower operator saw the airplane veer off the runway, the main landing gear strip off behind the airplane, and the airplane catch on fire. The tower operator said he saw 4 people get out of the airplane. The airplane's right side fuselage, right engine, right wing, and right tip tank sustained major fire damage. The left and right main landing gear, and nose gear were broken aft.

The wind conditions at the time of the accident were 290 degrees at 4 knots.

Latest resources

Back