Lear/Hawker FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BGSM

I got a call for a FO job in a lear or hawker in the NE just curious of what the average pay is they offered 27,000 first year 35,000 second the send you to school for SIC if you want the PIC type you pay the 3,500 extra but get paid back when you upgrade to Captain. Is the pay low or is it about average for enrty level SIC ?

Last edited:
Waaaaaaayyyyy too low! I had no jet time and no type rating and I was hired by a charter outfit in S. FL at 45k per year as an F.O. AND they paid for my HS-125 Type rating (PIC) on the 800a series. And the only reason this was reasonable was because I was green. Had I already had a type, 54K would have been my minimun pay request. Stick to your guns man!

turn it down! too low, plus the fact that they offer to have you pay($3000 for the type) for them to get a break on insurance is very shady.

Screw these shady operators. What is 3.5k, maybe what it costs to operate the plane for two hours?

job

thanks for the input I got three phone calls in the last month for entry level SIC in the 135/corp. world and pay was the less than what I make flying a 208. I would like to move up and on and will pass on this one. Trying to network but night freight I don't meet many people. Upside I have a job and can pay my bills!!!

I would think seriously about taking it. You will probably upgrade fairly quickly anyway. 27000 is definitely low but it depends on your situation and what else you can find. I don't think there are many charter companies that are going to pay much more than 35k to start in the right seat. I went from a Caravan to a Hawker in NY and starting pay was 36K about 7 years ago. I had no jet time and no multitime. It was a great opportunity. I hear starting pay has gone down. The wonderful world of 135.

Yeah, that is pretty low. I got my job flying Lears 24s and Falcons 20s right seat and made about $35,000 first year which includes $4000 perdiem. But it was a slow year for us so I would have made more if we were busier. I know guys who made over $40,000 their first year when we were busy.

Paying $3500 for the type rating is kind of BS too, but I suppose it's not any worse than signing a work contract for $8000 when you upgrade like we have to. Most Learjet type ratings cost about $12,000+ if you were to buy one yourself. If you decide to take the job, you might want to consider applying for a better job somewhere else once you get some good jet time. If you tell them you're leaving because of the upgrade fee, they may offer to waive the $3500 type rating fee instead of having to train another pilot again.

Last edited:
I looked into the cost of living up there and its high, I guess I am having a hard time going from 36 a year to fly the van in the southeast all health, life, disability insurance paid for to 27 for a lear on call and pay 50% cost of insurance. yes it would be great to get the jet time and I have to look at long term earning potential but 27 I think is still low add the cost of insurance and cost of living and i think I will have a hard time paying the bills. I still have a few days to make a decision.

As much as I can't stand regional airlines, I have to point out that you could make that much as a first year FO at many regionals. I know the minimums are usually in the low 20's, but it's not uncommon for FO's to fly 80-100 hours a month and make $27,000 their first year.
Then you could live where you want to, get 121 experience, and get flight benefits. Also if it's a decent company, you could have a future there if you want to.
With small companies, there is no respect for seniority and you may never upgrade regardless of what they tell you in an interview. Many of the FO's at my company are realizing that right now and leaving to go elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back