• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 45 vs. Citation Excel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So we are looking at a Lear 45 or a Citation Excel-Leaning more towards the Excel. Just wanted to see what people thought of each. Anyone have experience in both.

Maintenance Issues in the Lear?

Will the LR45 do NYC to PHX non-stop most of the time?

Any other advice on what to look for or opinions would be great!

Thx

(and NO were not hiring!)

No experience in the Excel but over 2500 hrs in the 45. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been unable to dispatch in the 45. That’s a lot of legs in a Learjet. The 45 got off to a rough start partly because it was a clean sheet design, but it is a mature product now with over 400 40/45’s in service.

The 45 will make it to TEB-PHX with 4 PAX and avg. 50kt headwind and land with ~ 800 lbs (including the early descent) provided that you execute the LRC profile properly. People that say that the 45 is less than a 4 hour airplane are not operating the aircraft correctly.

It boils down to what is important to your owners. Do they want to almost be able to stand up like in the Excel or are speed and efficiency more important to them?

Do they realize that to approach the same range as the 45 that they will have to fly nearly 100 kts slower in the Excel? That’s a lot of speed to give up.

Do they realize that even though the Excel is lighter and holds more fuel that it can’t fly as far? That fact speaks to the design of the aircraft and it is easy to see that the 45 is way more efficient.

Knowing this, have your owners actually sit down in both aircraft, or better yet have them demo both. I think what they will find is that even though you can’t stand up in the 45 that your seated head and shoulder room is better due to the oval cabin and flat floor.

As a pilot, do you want to fly at .80 between 450-490 or .70 between 410-450?

Do you want dual main gears with massive brakes, or one main gear bearing a lot of weight?

Do you want modern systems with full EICAS messaging or just some pretty glass?

And finally, is it important for your flight department to have a good looking airplane?

If only the Excel had club seating for 8! Side facing couches suck if you marketers are listening!

CRAZY LEGS said:
The 45 will make it to TEB-PHX with 4 PAX and avg. 50kt headwind and land with ~ 800 lbs (including the early descent) provided that you execute the LRC profile properly.

Will 800lb of fuel give you IFR reserves at low altitude in that 45?

That's lower than my comfort level in a piddly Citation II...

Will 800lb of fuel give you IFR reserves at low altitude in that 45?

That's lower than my comfort level in a piddly Citation II...
[/font][/color]

Phoenix- IFR?

800 lbs of gas gives you a solid 50 minutes down low to find a place.

Last edited:
Anyone ever seen a double club seating for an Excel? Doesnt seem like it would work...

You wear a mask when you fly?

That must be miserable

Only above FL410, you know, like the regs call for, and anyone with out a death wish would do. Check your Time of useful consciousness up there.

I have had a windshield depart...you?

Anyone ever seen a double club seating for an Excel? Doesnt seem like it would work...

I have see Club and 3/4 and then a single side facing seat on the left side. I do not believe there is room for an aft facing seat between the door and the cockpit bulkhead.

Latest resources

Back