• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capthuff

A Pirate past 40
Hi all,
I'm looking for coverage for about a week or two in March for a current 45 driver.
First class med and school in the last 12 months is required.
PM your rates and times to me please.
I will also need coverage throughout the year for vacations and such.

Thanks

I know I am not qualified for the job but maybe you could help me. I am considering paying for a type in the LR45, but can't get anyone (simcom, simuflite, etc) to give me a ball park estimate. Do you know the approx cost? Thanks !

tracearabians said:
I know I am not qualified for the job but maybe you could help me. I am considering paying for a type in the LR45, but can't get anyone (simcom, simuflite, etc) to give me a ball park estimate. Do you know the approx cost? Thanks !
You might consider FSI. Here is why:
FSI offers Full service contracts that allow you to train as much as you want. In your case, do a LR45 Full Service Initial then work the system a little bit, and here is how you do that.

With a Full service Initial, for 1 year you can do 1 initial in the LR45 and as many recurrents as you want. You can also select a 2nd (less expensive aircraft) to train on as much as you want for no additional cost. Do the following:
Say you pull the trigger and sign up. GO to school at the beginning of the month on the Lr45. Let say April. Get your type, and as soon as you can, in the same month, go to C500 (profile says you are typed) recurrent. Now you are 61.58 current on both aircraft.

Regardless of what you do in between, return to recurrent in BOTH aircraft in March of next year. Then you contract expires at the end of that month (March). What this does is leaves you 61.58 current for the next year in both aircraft, and your contract has expired, so you can save a few bucks doing it like that. In the time during the next year that your contract is valid, I'd hit recurrent on several of the c500s. I'd go to Encore, Bravo, II, and V recurrents of the next 12 months. Find out which of these Citations keeps you the busiest with contract work, and save that recurrent for last (your March visit to recurrent). If the 40 and 45 are the same type, you might consider doing 40 differences or a 40 recurrent after the initial 45 type. Also, be sure to do a XR differences course if it is set up like that. I think with a Full service, you can do enrichment courses at no additional costs as well. That would allow you to get in for an RVSM recurrent, and you might do a radar course or something like that as well. It'll look great on the resume. Summing it all up, you'll essentially get 2 years of PIC currency for the price of 1.

Call Blane Little. He is a marketing rep for FSI and his office is in STL. He'll have a price for you. Tell him your situation, but I wouldnt tell him of your plans to work the system if you deciede to do that. Good luck..................

Last edited:
Full Service

Be careful following HawkerF/O's advise. The fine print on a FSI Full Service Contract limits the number of "training events." In other words you can go back and do "proficiency training" whenever the sim is open, but you can only do a certain number of checkrides (I believe 2, might be 3) per contract.

501261 said:
Be careful following HawkerF/O's advise. The fine print on a FSI Full Service Contract limits the number of "training events." In other words you can go back and do "proficiency training" whenever the sim is open, but you can only do a certain number of checkrides (I believe 2, might be 3) per contract.
Aside from a type ride, which would be completed with the initial training event, what checkride are you talking about out of a recurrent? I have never heard of a Part 91 recurrent checkride when you are already typed. Please, fill us in on exactly what a part 91 recurrent check ride is?

Also, your info is flat out wrong. With a FS contract, you can sign up for a recurrent once a month if you want. The FS contract has "drop in" provisions (you have a 3 day trip to a city where there is a sim, you can spend a day in it if you want. Unannounced without an appointment you can just drop in and if the sim is open, you can have at it.)

That's why it is called full service, but never mind that, I'm waiting to hear about these P91 check rides out of recurrents you speak of.

HawkerF/O said:
That's why it is called full service, but never mind that, I'm waiting to hear about these P91 check rides out of recurrents you speak of.
You're kidding right? I really hope you are, because you're aviation knowledge would be very sad if you weren't.

Specifically, FAR 61.58 is what is required.

When us 91 "cowboys" go to recurrent we do all the same maneuvers and generate a paper trail, to be legal. FSI will only issue a certain number of these "training events" per full service contract (i.e., the paperwork that shows you are actually 61.58 current).

Then again 61.58 rides are only required for PIC's, I guess you haven't had to worry about that yet;) .

And yes my info about FSI may be wrong, I've only been authorizing payments and signing contracts with FSI since, 98', so I could be wrong.

Again you can do all the proficiency training in the sim you want (provided the sim is open:rolleyes: ), but only a certain number of "training events," the difference is in the definition of "proficiency training" and "Training event."

Last edited:
501261 said:
You're kidding right? I really hope you are, because you're aviation knowledge would be very sad if you weren't.

Specifically, FAR 61.58 is what is required.

When us 91 "cowboys" go to recurrent we do all the same maneuvers and generate a paper trail, to be legal. FSI will only issue a certain number of these "training events" per full service contract (i.e., the paperwork that shows you are actually 61.58 current) Then again 61.58 rides are only required for PIC's, I guess you haven't had to worry about that yet;)
You have got to be kidding! 1st of all, I've not called you or anybody else flying 91 a cowboy. I'm well aware that a 61.58 is required, as that is why you are at training in the 1st place. You've still not said what checkride is required!! Are you suggesting a 61.58 is a checkride? You don't need to answer that, because you have already said it was. You are wrong!! A 61.58 per definition is NOT a checkride. When was the last time you filled out a 8710 and/or 8410 with a 61.58? On your initial type yes, after that, no! When you get to FSI, what paperwork do you fill out for that checkride? NONE, because it is NOT a checkride. You fill out a pilot resume/history form on the 1st day, and there is no paperwork required after that unless you are getting typed. My private, Inst, Comm, ME, ATP, and HS125 ratings all required a 8710 and all my 135 stuff required 8410s. Never have I come out of a 91 recurrent with anything more than an endorsement for the proficiency training I recieved and you have not either. So I guess you fill out an 8710 everytime you go to recurrent? That's all it is Man, proficiency training in which you get a logbook sticker/endorsement. Look man, you are wrong about this, just admit that and I'll let it go.

61.58 is a profiecieny check, NOT A CHECK RIDE! There is a huge difference!! Here is the wording from the FAA:

Sec. 61.58
Pilot-in-command proficiency check: Operation of aircraft requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember

I suppose the FAA is wrong too? In a 91 recurrent you perform the manuvers throughout the 3-5 days and the only thing required is that some time during the training, the manuvers are completed to pre-determinded standards. As the manuvers are completed, a box gets checked and you are done with that part. It's cumulative. Do I really have to explain this to you???????

Do you understand now or do I need to explain it some more to you? By your own definition, a 61.58 is NOT a checkride. Don't sit up here and tell me that I am wrong when you clearly do not know what you are talking about. If you meant 1 thing and wrote another, then you need to get a better understanding the technical jargin of the industry you call your career. 2 huge differences in a proficieny check and a checkride and there are no 2 ways about it.

501261 said:
And yes my info about FSI may be wrong, I've only been authorizing payments and signing contracts with FSI since, 98', so I could be wrong.
The contracts are a result of what you have negotiated. If you just signing the 1st piece of paper FSI puts in front of you, then ok, maybe it is what you say. But if you have the forsight to actually get off your A$$, do some homework, and negotiate with your marketing rep, then you get a much better deal than what may be standard. I've never known of any FSI full service contract user to be limited by the # of times they can go to training. It defeats the purpose of having a full service contract. Do most people go 5 or more times a year? No, because of time, cost, or not having an interest, and FSI banks on that. Why do you think the Full Service contracts are marketed like they are? What would be the purpose of them? It sounds like you are a poor negoitiator or you just accept the 1st thing that comes along, and now that is why you are in the position you are in today with that great full service contract of yours.

501261 said:
Again you can do all the proficiency training in the sim you want (provided the sim is open:rolleyes: ), but only a certain number of "training events," the difference is in the definition of "proficiency training" and "Training event."
Here is where you are confusing yourself. By that statement above, you can go do all the 61.58s you wants, as a 61.58 is a proficiency check, by definition. Go look it up in your FAR/AIM and you'll see just what I wrote. 61.58 is a checkride and then you argue that it is? You have got to be kidding. You made a mistake, and it's just that simple.

Last edited:
hawkerf/o said:
61.58 is a profiecieny check, NOT A CHECK RIDE! There is a huge difference!! Here is the wording from the FAA:

Sec. 61.58
Pilot-in-command proficiency check: Operation of aircraft requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember
Had to look it up didn't you;) ? Never heard of a 61.58?

HawkerF/O said:
Do you understand now or do I need to explain it some more to you? By your own definition, a 61.58 is NOT a checkride. Don't sit up here and tell me that I am wrong when you clearly do not know what you are talking about. If you meant 1 thing and wrote another, then you need to get a better understanding the technical jargin of the industry you call your career. 2 huge differences in a proficieny check and a checkride and there are no 2 ways about it.
Well, forgive this former checkairman for thinking that any time he sits in a box and has his steeps, stalls, S/E work, etc., checked for proficiency, it's not a checkride.

Then again, I guess using that logic 135 "checkrides" aren't really checkrides either since nowhere in 135.293 does it mention the word "checkride".

Incidentally a 135.297 is called a "proficiency check." I guess to an expert like you that kind of technical jargon makes a difference:rolleyes: .

hawkerf/o said:
It sounds like you are a poor negoitiator or you just accept the 1st thing that comes along, and now that is why you are in the position you are in today with that great full service contract of yours.
Actually, we've been going to Dallas, but anyways.
HawkerF/O said:
The contracts are a result of what you have negotiated. If you just signing the 1st piece of paper FSI puts in front of you, then ok, maybe it is what you say. But if you have the forsight to actually get off your A$$, do some homework, and negotiate with your marketing rep, then you get a much better deal than what may be standard. I've never known of any FSI full service contract user to be limited by the # of times they can go to training. It defeats the purpose of having a full service contract. Do most people go 5 or more times a year? No, because of time, cost, or not having an interest, and FSI banks on that. Why do you think the Full Service contracts are marketed like they are? What would be the purpose of them?
Now to put this argument to bed, go find an actual "full service contract" from FSI, page one is where all the "negotiating" happens (airplanes, price, etc.) on page 2 is the "boilerplate" legal mumbo jumbo (the stuff that can't be negotiated). Read the second paragraph, I'll attach it below. I know this is new to you since you've never seen an actual FSI contract, but being an "expert" as you are, I'm sure you can understand. And don't worry, if you keep saving the boss's brakes:rolleyes: like you have soon you too can negotiage FSI contracts!

"(2) Payment: The customer agrees to pay FSI, as compensation for two (2) training events, as an annual fee for each pilot listed on Appendix A, at the rate specified opposite the Pilot's name. All payments shall be made upon receipt of invoice. Charges paid will not be refunded nor unpaid obligations canceled."

The key here as I have been saying all along is what FSI considers a "training event", 61.55, 61.58, 135.293, 135.297 "checks" are all considered a "training events".

BTW sorry for the tread hijack, Huff, I'm done.

501261 said:
Had to look it up didn't you;) ? Never heard of a 61.58?
Instead of apoligizing and admitting your mistake, you have to accuse me of having to look something up to clarify the wording for you. Typical.
501261 said:
Well, forgive this former checkairman for thinking that any time he sits in a box and has his steeps, stalls, S/E work, etc., checked for proficiency, it's not a checkride.
I have a friend that just did one of those in a 737 for a job interview. They called it a sim evaluation, but I am going to tell him to get his logbook back out and makes some changes because he had a checkride, not an Sim Evaluation.

501261 said:
"(2) Payment: The customer agrees to pay FSI, as compensation for two (2) training events, as an annual fee for each pilot listed on Appendix A, at the rate specified opposite the Pilot's name. All payments shall be made upon receipt of invoice. Charges paid will not be refunded nor unpaid obligations canceled."

The key here as I have been saying all along is what FSI considers a "training event", 61.55, 61.58, 135.293, 135.297 "checks" are all considered a "training events".
What ever it is you are reading, it's not a Full SErvice Contract. So I can go do a 293 and 297 in an aircraft I am already typed in and according to you, my Full Service contract would be done at that point thus making me ineligable for the Initial type in another aircraft I have paid to train in? Think about that. How much sense does that make? Before you go popping of your mouth, you should really think about what you are writing. Just admit your mistake and move on

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back