• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 20's Power settings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought Garrett recommended 795 for the 30 series. Yes, it is below max continuous, but that is the number I've seen floated at lear operators.

TFE731 -2-2

FurloughedGal,
You are correct! That is exactly what Garret recommends. They only want 860C for 5 minutes. 795C is good for the rest.

Ron

How to save fuel in a 20 series.

NXXXX hold as published efc of XXXX.

Unable to comply, we are a lear 25, thanks anyway.

Anyway, Go as high as you can get and as fast as you can get it, I have found that .74-.76 up high does real good on the burn, around 1450 on -8 engines.

As far as reduced T/O power, no way. Stick those EPR's right up there, more noise the better.

The 20 series will scare you with the fuel.

I am a surviver, I was an SIC one time and we landed with 400 lbs total one time in a 25 due to the PIC's retardedness, I was not a happy camper.

My plan was to start beating his head in right when the first engine would quit.

Any of you 20 drivers out there ever get into the position when you flip that quantity switch back and forth between the mains and the needle barely moves, it sucks.

Yeah LR 25, I can picture that needle movement, no fun.

I'm reminded of that warbird dealer up in New Hampshire ten or fifteen years ago with the MIG 21. (a 45 minute airplane with no external tanks) This guy's strapped in, hooked up to the huffer and GPU, ready to start. He's talking to clearance delivery, and they're giving him some roundabout clearance that wouldn't allow him enough fuel to do whatever it was he was doing. After asking for a better routing and being the declined, the guy declares minimum fuel, ready to copy. Didn't exactly endear him to ATC, but I think it got everyone angry enough to where all parties were able to work something out.

FurloughedGal, to answer your question completely, the Garrett's are 860 MAX T.O., (5 minutes) 832 MAX CONT, 795 recommended after 30 minutes. Some corporate Lear operators actually pull them back to 775. The recommedation is simply that, not a limitation. As JustAPilot aptly points out, it is designed to save big bucks during the hot section. Not everyone does it. For instance the Air Force runs their C-21's right up at max continuous the whole flight. Most of us pull back to 795 after 30.

LearjetGA, I re-read your post. I 'm just a dumb charter pilot, but in my humble opinion you really should not be doing RPTO's. There are no published 20-series numbers that i've been able to find in the 5-600 pounds of Simuflite and Flight Safety stuff I've got around the house. I do not currently have access to our 25 AFM, I will certainly check the next time I am in, but I don't think there are RPTO numbers for the 20 series. I only have about 600 hours of 25B & D time, but I don't remember seeing anything in there.

If you go out there and do a 94% takeoff and lose a motor at V1, Are you even going to be able to accelerate to VR? Are you going to have sufficient pitch authority to keep the nose of the AC on the ground and therefore maintain directional control? Balanced field length? If we fly the book profiles we are guaranteed certain performance. If we start making things up, we could very easily do ourselves harm. I suppose it could be said one could just push it up if you lose one, but is that realistic? I fear you are trying to do your employer a favor, (not having to stop for fuel) at the expense of endangering yourself, crew, passengers and employer. I don't wan't to sound harsh or judgemental dude, I'm just trying to help answer your question. More than anything though, I don't want any of us to get hurt.

If anyone can show me I'm full of it, please post. I'm not proud, let's all learn something.

Best of Luck Dude,

DAN

Last edited:
The RPTO idea came after i talked to a guy working for a 135 company in one of the carolinas. He told me that they had RPTO settings approved by the FAA. I was pretty curious about it because i never heard about it, that's why the question came up. At simuflight, nobody knows about it.

Another question, anybody out there who goes higher than FL450 in a 25D with the 510 cabin ?

I believe, in a 25D with the 51,000 ft cabin, the aircraft approved to go above FL450 are the ones equipped with the engine stall provisions. I am not sure of all of the details as to what this includes as it has been a while (auto-ignition is one of the things). I had heard at one point though that the FAA came back and made operators change the restrication in the AFM to limit operations at FL450 on all Lear 20 series, but I don't know the accuracy to this. Any current Lear driver out there with any further info?

Happy flying!!

never heard of a 25 certified to go higher than 450, but they will definitly go up there........
Any 25 pilot tight on fuel (hello!!!) will attest it is very tempting to pop up to FL490 and clear wx instead of zig zaging around it..
but i heard lots of stories of flame-outs.....bummer...

Whats with the reduced power T/Os????
I thought the only thing good about flying that old junk was waking EVERYONE up at that god-forsaken hour which that rat-$%^# charther operator has you flying!!!
COME ON HAVE SOME FUN.

Latest resources

Back