Lean of Peak

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JimG said:
This month's edition of Flying has an interesting article on the Lancair that I just read.

Even Lancair's test pilot claimed it "stumbles and splutters" at 50 lean of peak.

That's a comforting thought.

I read that exact same article.

My first thought was "that engine needs GAMIjectors. If it had them it would run smoothley at LOP"

GravityHater said:
The one thing that takes learning on this is you can't hamfist the mixture to do it properly. You need a vernier mixture control as well.
Roger that. The hardest part is figuring out what is "slop", and when an 1/8th of a turn is actually moving some lever on the other end of the cable. Setting up LOP during cruise takes time and fingertip finesse.

During my level-off, I slowly ham-fist the red knob out with the plunger until the engine gets noticably rough. Then close cowl flaps, accelerate, reduce prop RPM, set Ram Air door about 2/3rds open (fully open disrupts the LOP mixture) ... then finally use the vernier to SLOWLY enrichen (while watching the EGT's rise) to a desired TAS. Then, I fine tune the Ram Air door for max EGT.

If I had a fuel-flow gauge the whole process could be done a lot faster. But, when flying 6+ hour legs ... it doesn't really matter. Plenty of time to tweak the knobs to fight the boredom. The reward comes at the fuel pumps.

Moonfly201 said:
Roger that. The hardest part is figuring out what is "slop", and when an 1/8th of a turn is actually moving some lever on the other end of the cable. Setting up LOP during cruise takes time and fingertip finesse.
And from the home offices at Merriam Webster, something a little "hysterical"....

Merriam Webster said:
Main Entry: hys·ter·e·sis
Pronunciation: "his-t&-'rE-s&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural hys·ter·e·ses /-"sEz/
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek hysterEsis shortcoming, from hysterein to be late, fall short, from hysteros later -- more at OUT
: a retardation of an effect when the forces acting upon a body are changed (as if from viscosity or internal friction); especially : a lagging in the values of resulting magnetization in a magnetic material (as iron) due to a changing magnetizing force.

Latest resources

Back