LBBB (Left Bundle Branch Block)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smash312

Can anyone tell me if LBBB (Left Bundle Branch Block) on an ECG/EKG is a disqualifying cause for a 1st class medical? If so, if there any hope of getting a 1st class medical? If so how and what would need to be done?

Im not a paramedic or cardiologist, but before I started my career I had a incomplete Right bundle branch block with ST elevation and right axis deviation show up on a 12 lead. My FAA doc ran another 12 lead (same reading) and sent it to a cardiologist to make sure it was ok. It was, and 10 years later I still have my 1st class.

Just because the machine identifies an abnormality doesn't mean it actually exists. It should always be interpreted by an expert.

As I understand it a RBBB and a LBBB are quite different in the way that they are interpreted (in terms of levels of risk). RBBB being the less riskier.

Would a LBBB mean a restriction on a 1st class medical (if even allowed to be issued one)?

Left Bundle branch block is more critical as the block comes from inside your left ventricle. However, it is not disqualifying by itself. The FAA will probably ask for more tests to be done, i.e.: stress test, holter monitor.
In a nutshell, there is an electrical block that makes a heartbeat not go all the way through your heart. I would seek the consultaion of a good EP (electrophysiologist) they will be able to asses your situation and if need be write a letter to the faa.
My parents were both doctors and I learned a lot about cardiology growing up, I don't think this alone should hold you back from getting your first class.

Latest resources

Back