• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

lax v. phx atc

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why can LAX, 60 mis out in MVFR clear me to descend via a STAR and clear me for an ILS?

but PHX, on a CAVU day, while on downwind with no one in the area has to give me 6 frickin' vectors to 'final approach course', still leave me high, then vector me for a 360 with my gear down!

WTF is up with PHX approach? if there were a ritzy neighborhood they have to keep us away from i'd understand. may not like it but i'd understand. but they are horrible on ALL runways!

thx for listening, had to vent.

be safe

To add why is it that every time PHX gets one freakin cloud they space every plane 10 miles apart and place every plane in a hold for an hour? Send these clowns back to OKC and relearn how to a controller.

While I love most of the local PHX Tracon guys, I will be the first to admit when the weather is IFR (and for us that is less than 5000/7 miles haha... Things simply hit the fan!

Last edited:
I agree with BE400. Put a cloud in the sky and they go bonkers. After flying for many years in the LA Basin in VFR , low VFR and IFR then coming to PHX I felt like I was in a third world country. I don't know what is wrong with them but they are nothing like LA.

oh cr@p don't even get me going about when the weather goes down. and by down i mean anything less than CAVU.

but seriously, how in the heck can a complex the size of sky harbor be so bad so dang consistently???

has anyone heard that some mgmt type from vegas came over a while ago? someone that would not be an asset to PHX.

and one other thing i'd heard kicked around, does the gub'ment, faa, whoever, keep track of how many commands are issued over a period of time? as in the more commands the more $$$. not looking for conspiracy theories, just the real reason for the ineptitude.

have a grrrrrrreat day!

How can NYC appr clear you for a visual at LGA when you never call the field or the traffic?

"XXX cleared direct dials, cross dials at 2500, cleared the xway visual 31"

I dunno they just do.

How can NYC appr clear you for a visual at LGA when you never call the field or the traffic?

"XXX cleared direct dials, cross dials at 2500, cleared the xway visual 31"

I dunno they just do.

cuz they're guuuuuud.

I still think the worst sector is the SLC Center Sector that works the arrivals off of BCE and MLF... 90 degree vectors all day, clearing to fixing on other arrivals without re-clearing the arrival, speed reductions in the 170's in the FL200-300 range?! Every flight there seems to be a nightmare...

I agree, PHX must be a training ground. I think overall ATC has gotten worse, but NY Tracon does the best job, no room for error there.

I think controllers get some sort of "payment" from the amount traffic the handle, not how much they talk. I think this is the case on the departures out of VNY in Socal. Every time you get near Palmdale LA Center gives you a freq to contact, then 20 seconds later they hand you off to the next guy, go figure.

I agree, PHX must be a training ground. I think overall ATC has gotten worse, but NY Tracon does the best job, no room for error there.

I think controllers get some sort of "payment" from the amount traffic the handle, not how much they talk. I think this is the case on the departures out of VNY in Socal. Every time you get near Palmdale LA Center gives you a freq to contact, then 20 seconds later they hand you off to the next guy, go figure.

There is no such thing as a training facility. Yes, we do get paid on the amount of traffic we work hence the reason each facility has a numerical rating. 5 being the smallest and slowest....the VFR towers, and the level 12's being the centers, the busy tracons and the busy towers like ATL and ORD.

Latest resources

Back