• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

lawmakers finally see the light

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Legislation being proposed that would prevent DOD from procuring hardware systems from a manufacturer who receives state aid is quite different from "required to reject it". The beauty is that the legislation would no doubt be challenged in the courts and would bring out the ugly facts of "state aid". This would settle the Airbus versus Boeing subsidies dispute once and for all. After the facts are layed out, those such as yourself will be able to comprehend the reality as opposed to the hyperbole. That is of course if the WTC doesn't settle it first. Just so I understand your position clearly, should DOD only procure what is determined to be the best systems at the best price regardless of country of origin?

Bocephus,

You posted an article that described a proposal that would PROHIBIT the purchase of tankers from Airbus. Do you understand that?

You said there is no requirement for, and no proposal to require, the DOD reject any product offerered by a company that receives state aid.

You're confused.

You suggest that "legislation [that] would no doubt be challenged in the courts [and] ... would bring out the ugly facts of 'state aid' ... [thereby] ... settl[ing] the Airbus versus Boeing subsidies dispute once and for all." What court are you thinking about, and how do you suppose they'll have any effect over Airbus and Boeing? I know you can't be talking about the "World Court," because you refer to that body separately.

You're confused.

When deciding which product the DOD should procure, it should consider:

- acquisition cost

- operating cost

- maintenance cost

- reliability

- performance

- corporate stability

- economic impact

- and a million other things...

The house bill proposes that all Airbus offers be automatically rejected. I believe such an approach is short-sighted. If Airbus has a better product, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, then we ought to purchase the Airbus product. If Boeing has a better product, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, then we ought to buy the Boeing product. No hyperbole there.

Still confused?

[Edited to add emphasis]

Last edited:
The house bill proposes that all Airbus offers be automatically rejected. Really? Can you show us where the word Airbus is in the legislation text? Embraer, and Bombardier would be affected also.

I'm afraid it is you who is confused Tony. You cannot see the forest for the pretty trees in the way.

bocefus said:
TonyC said:
The house bill proposes that all Airbus offers be automatically rejected.
Really? Can you show us where the word Airbus is in the legislation text? Embraer, and Bombardier would be affected also.

I'm afraid it is you who is confused Tony. You cannot see the forest for the pretty trees in the way.
(I took the liberty of fixing your quote tags to make my post more readable.)

Yes, Really! :) I'd be delighted to show you where the word Airbus is found in THE ARTICLE YOU POSTED. Paragraph four:
While the measure in the 2006 defence authorisation bill does not mention EADS, it prevents the Pentagon from buying goods from any company that receives state aid, which would target Airbus, EADS's parent company.

The language of the legislation does not have to contain the word Airbus to make my statement true. Substitute the name of any other manufacturer that fits the description ("company receives state aid") and the statement is just as valid.

Tony ask one of your children, or maybe a neighbor's to explain the difference in the meanings of WOULD, COULD and SHOULD. Also ask them to explain to you how those affected by federal legislation would seek a remedy through the Federal Courts and the role of the courts in determining the validity of Federal legislation. Maybe ask them what sort of factual information would need to be established in order to arrive at a determination. Nahhhh, just keep getting your view of the world from Time magazine and your legal knowledge from Judge Judy.

bocefus said:
Tony ask one of your children, or maybe a neighbor's to explain the difference in the meanings of WOULD, COULD and SHOULD. Also ask them to explain to you how those affected by federal legislation would seek a remedy through the Federal Courts and the role of the courts in determining the validity of Federal legislation. Maybe ask them what sort of factual information would need to be established in order to arrive at a determination. Nahhhh, just keep getting your view of the world from Time magazine and your legal knowledge from Judge Judy.

I asked my first grader, and she said you're a moron.

She also said federal legislation and federal courts have no jurisdiction over companies located outside the United States. (She said Airbus is located outside the United States.)

She also said you must have missed the unit in English where the dipthong was discussed. Your screen name, she says, should be bocephus, not bocefus. Actually, she said it should be something else which she couldn't say, because she didn't want me to wash her mouth out with soap.

In the future, if you don't understand what an article says or means, don't bother posting it. Spare yourself the embarrassment.

:rolleyes:

I guess you will never understand how the US court system works when determining the validity or constitutionality of Federal Legislation. Apparently you are on the same intellectual level as your first grader. In the future, I suggest you expand your worldview from that of CNN.

bocefus said:
I guess you will never understand how the US court system works when determining the validity or constitutionality of Federal Legislation. Apparently you are on the same intellectual level as your first grader. In the future, I suggest you expand your worldview from that of CNN.
BoceFus,

We're proud of you that you've figured out that Federal Courts can review Federal Legislation. In fact, they can review legislation of states, counties and municipalities, as well, if it comes to that. None of them have jurisdiction over Airbus.

My first grader also wanted me to point this out: Do you realize your Avatar promotes a French clothing line? She said you probably don't, and she imagines you sitting there bellowing a hearty "Beavis and Butthead" chuckle that you've found those four letters jumbled together in a single word. You should have seen the eyeroll she did.

She's so darn cute!

:)

Latest resources

Back