• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest PNCL email

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keyword: code-sharing here, because at the time, the regionals at the time sold their own tickets, and those code-shares made it easier for passengers than having to buy 2-3 seperate tickets, and the regionals kept their own branding, service, and culture.

Actually what they did was not code sharing. Airlines were able to sell tickets and check bags on other IATA airlines through IATA agreements. Each ticket goes into an IATA pool associated with that ticket number. The airline that turns the ticket number in gets paid for that coupon. This is why passengers get re routed on other IATA carriers with their old tickets. It is called rule 240. Also you have always been able to check bags onto other IATA airlines all the time. Many times as a CSA for NWA I would have to check bags to DFW on NWA, then to a final destination on American. No codeshare inolved.

Southwest is not a member of IATA and this is why they have not and do not check bags, etc on other airlines.

Code sharing is completely different. A Code Share is when one airline markets, sells, and presents a ticket as being on one airline (Delta for example) while parts of the flight may be on another carrier (Air France, for example). As part of the codeshare agreement each carrier can only sell a certain number of seats per flight, and the flight numbers on the ticket and the flights on the bag tag will all be DL. Each codeshare flight will have two flight numbers, the flight number of the carrier (in this case Air France) and the flight number of the codeshare (in this case DL).

Last edited:
Yawn.........

Another Regional hater.

Nope. Far from it. I've spent more time at the regionals than mainline. After 16 years in this business, I have no illusions about what regionals are, how they operate, and what is going on in this industry.

Actually what they did was not code sharing.

Okay, so maybe what I said doesn't apply to everyone and was a tad overreaching, BUT, mine certainly did, with several airlines, until they (we) signed on to serve a national airline, that is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back