• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest from J.O.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesa is not going anywhere, they're like freeking cancer, you want it to go away, but it doesn't. At least the spreading stop, THANK GOD

I am curious as to what the target amount is for MESA to file bankruptcy. You need a decent amount of cash on hand to file CH11, I believe the number at XJT was about $60 million of cash and they would have to file......

so sorry your company had to file

I hope Delta wins the lawsuit and gets rid of those cockroaches

Delta doesn’t have to win to drop Mesa. After the judge rules they can say we have the right to fire you now or they can say your fired, J.O. go grieve it. One route results in a law suit that Mesa may or may not win the other results in a lawsuit that Mesa will almost definitely not win. Either way the ERJs that we operate for Delta will most likely be the last flying that Mesa ever does for Delta.

Well I can say that his use of the Aloha name may very well backfire. His analogy to what he did in Europe just underscores how ignorant he is about doing business in Hawaii. Newsflash, Hawaii is not Europe. A lot of people in Hawaii, and not just ex Aloha people, will deeply resent his using the name.
Hawaii is a small place and it is an island. You can't get ahead over here by stepping on peoples toes.
At the risk of name dropping, I know a fairly high ranking and influential State Senator over here that thought that Go would be good for Hawaii. He is disgusted with them now. My wife works in the medical field and sees many people that don't work for the airlines. She can attest that beyond airline employees many people in Hawaii do not like that airline.
Of course some people will fly them, but it will be hard for them to turn a profit when a very substantial part of the market he is competing for deeply resents his presence. A LOT of people in Hawaii had friends or relatives that worked at Aloha and Aloha, like Hawaiian does, had a lot of loyal passengers that wouldn't dream of flying on Go, no matter what they paint on the side of the airplane.
Also, the profit margin for flying inter-island is very low. His seat mile costs are substantially higher than Hawaiians 717's, adding an extra expense of having to pay out of every ticket the right to use the Aloha name guaranties the continued cash drain caused by Go.
Essentially he is paying for the right to create resentment in the market he serves.

In my view:

The proud people of Hawaii, in their spirit of Aloha and "Kokua" are the ones who put AQ out of business. It's not like GO! had any codeshare business. It was ALL point-to-point traffic.

There will, no doubt, be the resentment of which you speak. But, when the tickets are $10 cheaper than the competition they will again choose price over pride. And JO has no problem operating at a loss - and maybe put another airline out of business. He'll just sue someone else to try to get more capital.

Truth be told, It was the management of Aloha that put Aloha out of business.
That said, the Go operation is not very highly thought of in Hawaii, Aloha was a respected name and for an operation like Go to take over the name and try to act like they are Kamaaina will create a lot of resentment towards them.

Latest resources

Back