Latest ATL Career Fair ...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyForFood_NOT

Hey guys, just wanted to ask if anyone had some good or bad outcomes (or heard anything) about the June 03 Aviation Career Fair in Atlanta.

I went there and I thought it was horrible.

Pinnacle shook your hand at took resumes, but I knew that the only people they were getting jobs were (75%) NWA maine line, and the rest were the PFT dummies.

Commutair, yeah, well, "good news! we are hiring" umm, except for the fact that 70% or their new FO's are CoEx furloughs, who will leave Commutair in a split second when they smell recalls at CoEx.

Mesa, didn't even show up to the show at all. Just left a box to drop in your resume (guess they're out of rough draft paper for their office).

Comair, my god, the pickiest ones in there (although probably the best to work for nowadays, so I have to give them lots of credit). "Hmmm, well, I'm looking at your resume, looks good, over 3000tt, over 1000me, yes you meet our competitive hours, but you need some turbine 121 time. PIC 121 would be excellent. So, I will definitely put this on file and please come back next time." <-- their exact words.
I'm thinking to myself, yeeep, I guess Comair already filled the advertised FO slots with the Academy PFT dummies (ProFessionally Trained radio bit__es).

There was also JetBlue, Southwest, AirTran, and a few others. Most of the lines seemed to be filled with main like furloughs, 35 year or older.
Kinda feel bad for them after talking to a few. Most already paid their dues to get where they were at, and now they're back to the same spot, even trying to stand in lines with some of the crappy pay commuter jobs.

Anyways, this is what I saw and experienced. Nothing much came out of it, anyone else ??

Unfortunately, I don't have much to add.

It just sounds a lot like the one I attended in January 2002. Much the same as you described, so I decided that doing another one would be a waste of time. I have heard of some success stories, to be fair, but they seem very few and far between.

I ended up getting mine the hard way: work and applying for each and everything in sight. Keep knocking on doors, don't give up. They'll open eventually.

Thanks!

After Continental Express starts to recall, I think things will start to open up a bit. There will be at least 40-50 postitions at Commutair immeadiately.

The 60-80 that went to Skywest probably wont be going back. Express still has about 2-300 furloughs after that, but they're going to 270 jets, so at 10 pilots per jet thats 2700.

If the Cal people at Express go back, Express could be needing 2-300 pilots by 2004-2006.

So, eventually, there should be jobs out there in the next few years.

It's feast or famine, and we all know what mode is armed these days!

yeah, I've got a feeling that after the new contract at Expressjet is signed (could be a while), you'll see CALEX expanding somewhat rapidly again.

Latest resources

Back