• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest and greatest at Southern

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's all in what you like to do. I enjoy ACMI a great deal. I get a kick out of not knowing really where I'm going when I leave home...that's part of the adventure. Crew resting in Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Shanghai, Sydney, Hong Kong and Anchorage all in the same trip is something I enjoy tremendously. On the other hand, JFK to ATL to SLC three times a week isn't something that I'd like to do. That doesn't mean life is bad doing that, it just means that whatever fits you is where you'll find quality of life.

Amen! This flying is not for everyone and neither is JS'ing to work and paying for a "crashpad"!

Yea, 20 day trips are wonderful! No 401k / retirement is a hoot! Got to love the 50-60 hour garantee. Nothing like 30 hour duty days! But hey at least you get to fly hazmat across the pacific ..... Flammable liquids, radioactive material, lithium batteries, explosives..... Joy joy

Yea, 20 day trips are wonderful! No 401k / retirement is a hoot! Got to love the 50-60 hour garantee. Nothing like 30 hour duty days! But hey at least you get to fly hazmat across the pacific ..... Flammable liquids, radioactive material, lithium batteries, explosives..... Joy joy

Having flown on both sides of the fence I would choose the ACMI. I am not married, kids are grown and I want to see the World. On a 17 day shift I fly around 8 to 10 days. The rest of the time is spent in mostly very cool places, in very nice hotels, with great crews who for the most part like to enjoy life. Sometimes the days are long, and sometimes the destination sucks but that is life. If I had a family that I needed to be home for my decision would be different.

if ya don't like it don't do it, commuting, passengers, gate agent, galley hags and TSA are just about as much fun as all the detractors of ACMI.

Exactly. The whole argument is vacuous. If you like scheduled service then that's what you ought to do. If you like ACMI then that's what you ought to do. One's not better than the other, just decidedly different and there's good and bad about each.

come on Talon you know we are grimy freight dawgs not worth thinking about by most, because we are not airline pilots, congress told us as much! Ok rant over

Having flown on both sides of the fence I would choose the ACMI. I am not married, kids are grown and I want to see the World. On a 17 day shift I fly around 8 to 10 days. The rest of the time is spent in mostly very cool places, in very nice hotels, with great crews who for the most part like to enjoy life. Sometimes the days are long, and sometimes the destination sucks but that is life. If I had a family that I needed to be home for my decision would be different.

Carry lots of lube with you?

Latest resources

Back