Lateral Move???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pdub20s

I was told going from a regional to a fractional is a lateral move. i was told you lose all travel benefits in exchange for a better pay check..What do you guys think? And what are the pros and cons for this move?

what's important to you? Traveling for free on standby while making crappy pay or making a decent living and getting lots of time off? You may not get free airline travel at the frax but you do get tons of hotel points and frequent flier miles (at least NJA). I use my Hilton points to stay free all over the world.

I was told going from a regional to a fractional is a lateral move. i was told you lose all travel benefits in exchange for a better pay check..What do you guys think? And what are the pros and cons for this move?

Thanks for the laugh.

I think your source must have meant ladderal, climbing the ladder to a higher place.

Made over 50K last year (1st yr FO) and should be upgrading to capt. in about 1.5 years and making over 100K, add to that two 3 week vacations starting your first year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the laugh.

I think your source must have meant ladderal, climbing the ladder to a higher place.

Made over 50K last year (1st yr FO) and should be upgrading to capt. in about 1.5 years and making over 100K, add to that two 3 week vacations starting your first year.

Is upgrade that fast now?

it looks like 2-3 years depending on how many people plan on leaving now that they have the rest of their bonus.. Also made over 50k first year here. I was a regional guy and view this move as the best.. I have 3 weeks off now for vacation..and I only used one week of vacation..go figure :) You won't get that kind of time off at the airlines..

For a new hire now I would guess that it would range from 3-5 years to see the left seat. The people upgrading now have been here a little over 2 years but that time will get longer due to accelerated hiring over the last few years.

Derinda told the pilots of the Jan. 3/4 interviewees that it would be under 2 years to upgrade.

I'm told that the XL/XLS is and has upgrades that are under 2 years right now. Is this info wrong on the current upgrade classes? Thanks.

Don't forget to compare the 7 and 7 schedule to the regional guy's where he's getting 12 days off or so a month (really less if you're commuting on your own time). I worked for a regional for two years and the travel benefits there are crap compared to what I have now, especially if you have a family you are trying to travel with. I can get enough airline points enough for five or six free tickets every year easy. Plus the fact that you are holding an actual ticket, none of that standby b.s..

Sounds to me this "lateral move" nonsense is coming from someone trying to make themselves feel better because they can't get on with anyone else. Personally I wouldn't even consider moving to a major like southwest a step up from here. It might be someones idea of a dream job, but not mine.

Last edited:
I was told going from a regional to a fractional is a lateral move.

I guess it depends on which fractional, but NJA was the best move I ever made. Lateral? Not hardly. Not only is the pay better, the benefits are leaps and bounds above anything I could have even conceived at my regional job.

i was told you lose all travel benefits in exchange for a better pay check..What do you guys think?

Depends how often you travel, really. If you go to Vegas every other week, then yeah, you've lost some travel benefits. But if you do a few trips a year, you haven't lost anything -- except the misery that is trying to non-rev on oversold RJs with a boarding priority below everybody else. As others have mentioned, you earn lots of frequent-flier and hotel points, which translates into free hotel rooms and free positive-space flights. If anything, the "travel benefits" are actually better here.

Derinda told the pilots of the Jan. 3/4 interviewees that it would be under 2 years to upgrade.

I'm told that the XL/XLS is and has upgrades that are under 2 years right now. Is this info wrong on the current upgrade classes? Thanks.

Not anymore! Just looked at the wait for the XL/S. I have my bid for it. I am about 1500 (4.5 yrs in) and there are 20+ senior to me waiting for it.

I can about hold the 680 and 750 today. I believe many were waiting till the holidays ended to bid. I did, now I loose.

Plan on 3 years min for upgrade.

Latest resources

Back