• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hydroflyer

[font=verdana, Arial,Geneva]End Of The Line For Boeing 757[/font]

[font=verdana, Arial,Geneva][size=-1]August 10, 2004
[/size][/font]
boeing_757_081004.jpg

[font=verdana, arial,geneva]WICHITA, KAN. - Workers have finished the last 757 fuselage section to be built at Boeing Co.'s manufacturing plant here.

On Wednesday, the company plans to commemorate the shipment of the last fuselage section from the Wichita plant.

The 757 fuselage program, which was launched in 1979, ends this fall when Boeing delivers the last 757 to China's Shanghai Airlines. The last plane will be the 1,050th single-aisle, twin-engine 757 to be delivered since Boeing began shipments in 1982.

Nearly "everybody's been on the '57 at one time or another," said Mike Wakefield, supervisor of the 757 program in Wichita.

Later this month, the section will be loaded onto a rail car for Renton, Wash., where the last 757 will be assembled. Over the years, the 757 has been sold to 55 customers and carried more than 1.3 billion passengers. The 757 is one of only five airplane models designed and built by Boeing to tally more than 1,000 deliveries.

"We know there's something new that will replace it eventually," Boeing sheet metal mechanic Todd Shoemaker said. "It's sad to see it go."

Boeing launched the 757 program with orders from Eastern Airlines and British Airways for 40 planes. The plane was conceived during the early 1970s oil crisis to be quieter and more fuel efficient than the 727 it replaced.

But a global market downturn and a growing number of airplane choices have meant fewer orders.

Experts say the 757 also is a victim of its own success. Many 757s flying today are less than 10 years old and don't need to be replaced. Airlines are expected to operate them for years with Boeing supplying parts and support.

The increased capabilities of Boeing's 737 and its future 7E7 will fill the market now served by the 757, Boeing officials say.

The remaining 757 workers will work in other areas of the plant. But the 757 holds a special place for Stuart Miles, a sheet-metal mechanic who says the program helped support his family for the past 18 years.

He has worked on the 757 since Boeing hired him in 1986.

"I've done nothing else," Miles said. "I hate to see it leave."

[/font]

I can see the Renton plant (and runway) from my deck, and I'll be sure to salute this last 757 both as it rolls in by rail and as it departs upon completion. Truly a magnificent aircraft. By far, the best I have ever flown.

I can see the Renton plant (and runway) from my deck,

-I hope I'm not waking you up every morning in the Beav!!

I lived at 10890 S Rainier Ave, on the Lake, for a little over a year. What a great place. I could sit on my dock and watch everything from beavers to brand new 73s and 75s blast off. I really miss it. And if you were wondering, my rent WAS subsidized by my company...

I'd move back to Seattle in a heartbeat. Enjoy it.

I'm on the other side of the Lake, on Lake Washington Blvd...

and yes...that Beav DOES wake me up every morning...:) (How about a ride??? That's one thing I would absolutely love to do...)

(As a matter of fact, it's 8:01 am on Wednesday, and there goes that yellow Beaver...or one of them...right now. :cool: )

Last edited:
Yep, that was me... Haven't had a day off since the last post. Season is coming to an end, the Orange beav's will be parked here in another week for the rest of the year!

PS, Who's Bebop? I was in Viking hall, but don't remember much if you know what I mean!

So Launchpad....I guess then I'll be able to sleep past 7 after another week...:D

But, come next season, I'll be hittin' one of you guys up for a ride. In return, you can come play in the MD sim for a while if you'd like. I can always use it as an excuse to maintain my "competency"...;)

Latest resources

Back