Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

To all pilots and ATCS,
I hold a 1st class medical, but I can not be an ATC according to a website I went to that said you must have a prescription equal to or better than -5.50. My question therefore is if LASIK surgery is acceptable for Air Traffic Controllers? I am willing to take on the risk to get it done. Thanks.

I have had Lasik... so has a dozen people I work with. I also work with people that have terrible uncorrected vision. I have no idea what -5.50 for a prescription means :confused:

As far as I know we only have to have vision corrected to 20/20 ... If you check out the FAA website that lists requirements for ATCS it also states that.

http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/atc-quals.htm

We hold the equivalent to a second class medical, if you can hold a first class medical you will have no problem.

What website was that? I've seen that figure before I think, but it was for European ATC medical standards I believe. Don't think you'll have a problem if you already hold a 1st Class.

The vision standards for ATC, although a cose approximation of a second class airman's medical, have slight differences. For a flying class physical, you walk in, pass the test, walk out. If you can't meet the letter of the law, there are some ways to still be PIC in an aircraft.

ATC is not quite the same. No waivers/SODA's for vision. Your perscription must fall within a particular range. Be aware that there are a couple of different ways to write a perscription, and one of them has can "fail" you and the other can "pass" you. For 99% of the flying public, the two exams are synonymous. For that 1%, the technicalities have to be looked at closely.

one my of coworkers did lasik about 3 months ago. Sounds legal to me

Might also consider PRK. Basically the same procedure, except they scrape off the top layer of the eye instead of cutting the flap. The recovery time is longer, but once you are healed, you're healed. From what I remember, the flap never really heals.

I originally went in for LASIK. I told them my situation and they convinced me to go with PRK. They (the physicians) said they have seen trouble (vision fogging up) with LASIK patients when they are at high altitudes.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I have a question for LASIK/PRK patients. Is there a certain age you should be before getting surgery like this? I know vision gets worse with age, so if you got surgery at 18 would it be a waste since it'll just get worse anyway?

I NEED to have either LASIK or PRK done! I have quit my flying career from a regional after 4 1/2 years to attend college full time to become an air traffic controller with the FAA. I want to be an ATC more than anything in the world (I sound like a little kid, I know). I will not be able to become one however if I do not do something about my vision.
I am disqualified from becoming an ATC because I need corrective lenses for both near and far vision (legal for ATPs to have, but not acceptable for ATCs). I also have too strong of a prescription that corrects my vision to 20/20. I only found this out 5 days ago or so and have been in a terrible mood ever since. The FAA is going to be hiring in large numbers starting in 2006 (theyve already resumed hiring at EnRoute facilities) and I want to get on the list to get hired and enjoy a six figure salary with full federal benefits. John

Flightjock30 said:
I NEED to have either LASIK or PRK done!
[snip]
I am disqualified from becoming an ATC because I need corrective lenses for both near and far vision (legal for ATPs to have, but not acceptable for ATCs). I also have too strong of a prescription that corrects my vision to 20/20. John

I still don't know who's telling you this.?! Man, I work around controllers that have to carry two pairs of glasses because simple bifocals don't get it done. I've been wearing bifocals for years. Have a great eye doc who helped optimize them for my work environment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back