• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LASIK of For ATCs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
By the way, the -5.50 is in diopters (a measurement of lens strength). A negative number means you're nearsighted and a positive number means you're farsighted. I'm -4.5 in the left eye and -6.5 in the right eye. The difference between -4.5 and -6.5 is quite a bit. I can read the alarm clock with my left eye, but it is a total blur with my right eye. My brother was worse. He was -9.5 in one eye but had lasik and is now 20/20. I'd say go for lasik or prk.

Here is the FAA regulation concering your eyes in order to become an ATC.

a. Eye.

(1) The applicant must demonstrate: Distant visual acuity of 20/20 in each eye separately, without correction, or distant visual acuity of 20/200 or better in each eye separately, with correction to 20/20 in each eye. Glasses or contact lenses are permitted. <----- I have 20/1600 uncorrected so I am disqualified.

(2) The applicant must demonstrate: Near visual acuity of v=.50 (or equivalent according to table of equivalent scale) or better in each eye separately without correction or near visual acuity of v1.25 or better in each eye separately, with correction to v=.50 in each eye. Glasses or contact lenses are permitted.

(3) An applicant who must utilize both glasses and contact lenses to demonstrate acceptable near and distant vision is disqualified.<---- This rule disqualifies me as well

(4) The applicant must demonstrate normal color vision.

(5) The applicant must demonstrate normal central and peripheral fields of vision.

(6) If any medication is routinely required for control of intraocular tension, the applicant is disqualified.

(7) The applicant must demonstrate no hyperhoria or hypophia greater than one prism diopter.

(8) The applicant must demonstrate no esophoria greater than six prism diopters.

(9) The applicant must demonstrate no exophoria greater than six prism diopters.

(10) If examination, including tonometry, of either eye or adnexa reveals any form of glaucoma or cataract formation, uveitis, or any other acute or chronic pathological condition that would be likely to interfere with proper function or likely to progress to that degree, the applicant is disqualified.

(11) An applicant under any form of treatment for any chronic disease of either eye is disqualified.

(12) The applicant must demonstrate full range of motion of external ocular muscles.

Flightjock, try consulting with an AME that administers the FAA pre-hiring exam. See what options are available and what he recommends. Thats the first exam you'll have to pass, and generally the toughest. From then on out its really just like a 2nd class medical from what I understood. I too looked very seriously at ATC, and was even on the list for CCBC up in PA before I accepted a job with a regional carrier (which so far is working out well). I've always had a fascination with ATC though, and I have pretty bad uncorrected vision, so I have researched it a bit in the past myself and I understand where you're coming from. Good luck.

Sniper Bob said:
I originally went in for LASIK. I told them my situation and they convinced me to go with PRK. They (the physicians) said they have seen trouble (vision fogging up) with LASIK patients when they are at high altitudes.

Never heard of that. I had LASIK 5 years ago, no problems. 20/15 now...was worse than 20/400 before surgery. I didn't do PRK because the FAA required, at that time at least, 180 days AFTER surgery before you could get a 1st class medical. For LASIK, it was whenever your vision had stabilized. PRK is not as stable after surgery as LASIK is due to the epithelial layer regrowing....possibly growing too little or too much, causing vision other than what was targeted before surgery.

LASIK has advanced a lot in the past 5 years, but maybe PRK has too....I haven't kept up with it. When I go to the opthamologist he can't even tell that I ever had LASIK based on looking through the microscope at my eyes.

I find it amusing that I can fly passengers around as a PIC of a turbine for a 121 operation, but can not be an air traffic controller where all I have to do is look out of a control tower or at a radar scope. If my contacts became dry and fell out I would just grab my pair of glasses I always carry with me when I fly and put them on! Its not a big deal. Now if I were flying a 172 solo, lost my contact lenses, and didnt have a backup pair of glasses...then that is the only dangerous situation possible. I think even military pilots should be able to wear contact lenses as long as they do not fly fighter jets. Its ridiculous and discriminatory in my opinion because it honestly does not compromise safety.

gkrangers said:
If I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 (maybe 20/25) in another eye, can I get a SODA?

What kind of effect would this have on a flying career? Obviously it means nothing to my performance in the aircraft...but to employers?

No SODA's for ATC.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back