Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SammyG

I hope its big enough
I would like to fly for the military, be it Air Force, Navy, or Air National Guard.

But my vision sucks. With contacts/glasses I'm correctable to 20/15, but without correction....sucks! And from what I hear, even getting LASIK won't get me a pilot slot, that they don't like to see that in your background. Is this true or are there exceptions?

You can get a waiver for PRK, not sure about LASIK. I went down that path and love how the surgery turned out. I did not like the B.S. of three years of trying to get into the Navy and AF with tons of roadblocks. The AF, as far as I know right now is not accepting anybody that has ANY waivers. Civilian wise it is super hard to get into the AD AF, I think there are only like 150 slots a year and over 1000 people apply for them. The Navy is close to the same. I was told in the same sentance that "You scored in the 98% of anybody taking the ASTB in St. Louis, but your not competitive for a pilot slot." Do not get the surgery and spend 3000+ dollars because you think it will guarantee you a slot. The ANG is a good way to go, but unless you are already a unit member it is also hard to get in. Look into the Army as you may not even need to get eye surgery to fly for them, and before you say, Helo's are not for me(I said that at one time) go take an intro lesson in one, they are pretty cool. I am in the process of getting an Army Reserve Warrant officer slot and all of the Army people have been super cool.

SammyG said:
But my vision sucks. With contacts/glasses I'm correctable to 20/15, but without correction....sucks! And from what I hear, even getting LASIK won't get me a pilot slot, that they don't like to see that in your background. Is this true or are there exceptions?
LASIK definitely won't get you a pilot slot. In fact, it will guarantee that you never get a pilot slot. The Navy and Air Force are cool with PRK though, but you have to be within certain limits before surgery.

As far as the Navy is concerned, if you've had PRK and you're within standards, "they" won't hold it against you. I'm a Student Naval Aviator right now, and I know a lot of people who have had PRK (both my roommates, for example).

I don't fly for the military, but I did PRK a few years ago (a military approved procedure) and love the results also.

20/15 after 3 years. The first month after surgery sucked, as I couldn't see ********************, but after a month my eyes were healed (PRK takes longer to heal).

I recommend PRK to anyone.

EDIT: Wow, this is a pay site now (like HBO) and they edit the word s hit. Make up your mind, flightinfo.

Latest resources

Back