Lasik experiences

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyhogg

Hey I'm looking for anyone who has had or closely knows someone who had had this done. Basic info like length of time to recover, pre/post- procedure eyesight. Any complications and overall impression. Any other info appreciated...

thx

I was one of the first in FLORIDA

Hey I had both my eyes done at the same time back in 1999. I was one of the very first patients to have it done here, I was told I was in the first 1000 to have it done in the US....

I had sever astigmatism (sp?) in one eye, and was 20/200 in both before...I went in and was sedated with a pill, but awake, my procedure was video'ed for future patients to see....they explained everything to me...I was comfortable the whole time, they cover one eye at a time and all you have to do is look at the red light (laser) and stay still, very still....

There was absolutly NO pain.....i was done and out the door in 90 minutes, bith eyes.....As soon as the doctor flipped the cornea back in place, i was able to see pretty good...they take alot of care in washing the eye out, give you medicine for infections......I was cloudy the first 36 hours, but the vision was darn good...
After 48 hours the cloudyness was almost gone, and on the 5th day I was very clear....My vision was now 20/15 in BOTH eyes

Almost 5 years later I can see the nat on a rats A$$ from across the yard....it is still amazing after wearing glasses for 40 years.....I dont have any night vision problems at all...BUT be prepared for one big change....

In my case..i could see and read fine without glasses, but as soon as he did the Lasix, I need reading glasses...I still need them foranything i do within 3 ' of my face.....

I dont know what changes they have made today, i hear allot so maybe yours will turn out even better than mine did...

I was able to get a new drivers license and 3rd class medical the took the "corrective lenses" requirement off....

Good Luck......Hope this helps

Ps when i had mine done, it cost over $7400......I hear it alot cheaper now...

Search is your friend. There are many threads about LASIK on flightinfo.

I had it done about three months ago. No problems, flew 5 days later (the doctor actually signed off the FAA paperwork the next day).

I have occasionally needed eye drops when I never used them before, but that's about the only issue. Apparently you will also need reading glasses earlier than you would otherwise, but I have been good so far.

My girlfriend had it done on one eye about 6 months ago. It was a fairly quick procedure in and out in a little over an hour. After the procedure, I took her home and she took a sleeping pill (provided by the eye doctor) and slept for the rest of the day.
She has only had one problem since then.....Since she only had one eye done, she was having slightly blurry vision for awhile. Her doctor said this was due to the fact that the eye she had lasik on was now the stronger eye and her brain had to make the adjustment. As of last report everything is fine and she loves it.

If you had listened to your mother and eaten your carrots as a youngster, you wouldn't be having these problems.

My mother had it done about a year ago I think. She's now 20/15 and has reported needing reading glasses for near vision. I would think that's an acceptable compromise, since I am like 20/450 in one eye and 20/500 or something in the other. I am seriously considering doing it soon, especially now that it's widely available and much cheaper (<$2000 in some places, I hear). I suppose the only thing that would affect flying that much is the reading--I don't like the idea of messing with glasses or holding a chart at arms' length to draw my course, etc., but I suppose there's something to be said for the ability to distinguish between a VASI and traffic lights as well....

I had Lasik done in June 04. My left eye went to 20/20 or better within a few weeks, and my right eye was very close to 20/20 in the same time. I noticed that my right eyes vision varied, but I was able to pass an FAA 1st class medical eye test by August 04. My right eye sight fluctuated noticably for about six months and now after more than a year is stable at 20/20. I think that my eye sight may have varied a little bit before the surgery, but I probably never noticed. After the surgery I was very acute to any change in sight. Overall, my experience was good. I opted to pay more for the wavefront technology (which apparently maps the eye, it's supposed to lesson any night side-effects), and haven't had any night vision problems. Early on I noticed sparkles around bright lights, but it wasn't prohibitive. I think it's money well spent. (If you do it, spend the money on an experienced doctor, and get referrals, any good doctor will give you the name and contact information of other patients for a referral). Good luck.

Latest resources

Back