Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mayoplane

Hi, for those of you who have done LASIK

Did you know your pupil size? Mine is on a larger side and I am a bit concerned for obvious reasons....night vision.

Mine is about 7mm. Any stories are appreciated.

Doc said I had big pupils too when I got mine done; along with a thin cornea and quite poor vision. He got mine to about 20/20-ish using the PRK treatment method. I get a little bit of halo vision to this day (10 months later). Everything is clear to see, but some stuff like traffic lights have the halos at night.

7mm is nothing - I have 8.5mm. When I went to have Lasik surgery the doctor asked me how long I had been wearing contacts (since 14 when I got glasses). He then responded that I probably already see halos with contacts and would not know the difference.
It is the best $3000 I have ever spent.
I think that I do see halos but it is not different than anything that I would see wearing contacts. After surgery I was told that his theory could be tested by looking at traffic lights with contacts and then remove them and look at the same lights under the same conditions with glasses, no halos no problems but it was too late for me to test.
It has been three years since surgery 20/17 on the right and 20/20 on the left.

I thought that any lasar eye surgery,although permitted by the FAA for a first class, was pretty much disqualifying for an airline job. Apparently not so?

Lasik in '99, 1st class medical back 7 weeks later, some halo at night up to six months. Last week's medical: 20/15 both eyes, near, mid and far. Was 20/200 (-4.5 diopters) with astigmatism prior to the laser.

Was $2k an eye back then (Dr. F in MCO)--understand the price has come down alot. Worth every penny, no regrets.

NYC--at three month the doc who did them said there was no visible evidence of the surgery. No one has said anything since. I never did the AA physical, though.

Last edited:
I thought that any lasar eye surgery,although permitted by the FAA for a first class, was pretty much disqualifying for an airline job. Apparently not so?

You may be thinking military, but even their rules are evolving.

If you can hold the first class, the airlines are generally pretty content with that. The legal beagles can explain what it is about the ADA that keeps the airlines from imposing stricter standards than the FAA Class I, but that's about the size of it. If you can pass the medical, the airlines don't often look for other stuff to disqualify you for. AA did have an in-house physical exam; they haven't been hiring much lately, and I don't recall hearing of anybody who is having a medical exam for applicants.

Last edited:
I went through Eagle's eye exam in 2001 (was told it's the same as mainline AA) and had PRK a few years prior. No problems. Just had to have a letter from eye doc. no worries.

NYCPilot said:

Don't think so. Though I'm not a pilot with the airline I work for I actually contacted our Flight Surgeon and asked him that exact question. He said it's no longer an issue. The FAA doesn't mind it and apparently neither do the airlines. They might check your eyes a bit more closely but that's about it.

Sounds good. I'd like to consider having it done. Any reputable doctors you can reccommend in the New York City area.

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back