Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Birdstrike

Atlantic City
Does anyone have any experience with this drug and flight status? My son took three doses to prevent malaria in prep for Rwandan volunteer med service and it made him quite ill with the side effects. He's a May '08 ROTC grad, slated for UPT in late FY09. Once he discloses he's had a neg reaction to this drug, this can become a potential mine field if the AF is anything like the Army in gleefully grounding you if they can. Will it take med board clearance to get him an up slip or can the flight surgeon bless him as being fit to fly as long as he's fully recovered from the effects? He's wondering whether to proactively disclose now to get the paperwork flow started or wait until he shows up for UPT and then disclose it as a historical event that he's now fully over. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have taken many malaria meds for various deployements and have never heard of that drug.

If he says anything now, or when UPT starts, he will probably be disqualified from UPT. It's BS that they respond that way but that's the way it is.

I would wait until he has completed UPT. We have plenty of people who have had negative reactions to meds, after UPT, and all still fly. Prior to UPT is a different story.

Good luck.

I've been a Boy Scout and reported seemingly innocent things that would have never been discovered by anyone, and nearly got burned at the stake for it.

I sure wouldn't take any more of the stuff, if I were him.

Last edited:
Whoever said honesty is the best policy probably never had to deal with the government. Joking somewhat. Good luck to your son Bird. Have to consider the boom a rang affect of disclosing or not disclosing. If he hasn't already, maybe he should talk to a regular doctor about it.

I have been in the AF for 15 years and never took Lariam. We take doxycycline I believe for trips that go to Africa or other areas with Malaria. I would not disclose anything about your son's Laramie reaction. He may fly fighters or something else that never goes to a malaria zone. Once you have your wings all sorts of things can be worked out...but not before you get them. Think big picture on this one.

Latest resources

Back