Laptops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dell 700M

Great light and portable laptop. It is 4.1 lbs and 1.5" thick.

Remember to get the CompleteCare Accidental Damage Plan.

CompleteCare is a repair and replacement service that covers most accidental damage to select systems and peripherals that is not covered under limited warranty (spills, drops, surges, breakages).

apple 12" powerbook. hands down the best laptop on the market. light, small, durable, and one of the longest battery lifes on the market (~5 hrs). if you're used to windows, no worries- it took me a whole 2 days to become familiar with OSX. make sure you get the extended warrenty as the factory warrenty is only 90 days! I got mine for ~$1800 and it included office, virtual pc, the 3 year warrenty, and a free i-pod.

i will never look back to microsoft!!

If you buy a Dell, go to

www.techbargains.com

Click on coupons. Scroll down to Dell. Every week it is updated with new coupon codes you can use at check out. It occasionally will let you use multiple coupons for big discounts. Sometimes they are better than others.

There are coupons for other places and items also, but I used the Dell coupons when I bought my laptop a while back.

If you find a good coupon, you really can't beat the price of the Dells. Plus you can customize it exactly how you want it. Going to the store, you have to buy what they have. It may be good enough, if your not picky, and your not doing alot with it.

Good Luck

kl7741 said:
I see that Palm Pilot type devices are getting more advanced, some now have wi-fi. Anyone using this type of device instead of a laptop?
I have an HP iPAQ hx2755. Don't use the wireless much on it. But I do use it daily.

I'll look at the Apple, IBM, Dell, and Sony. I usually build my systems (my home pc). I am not too fond on Compaq or HQ. I guess the needs I am looking for is something that will get me on the internet, chat/surf, watch DVD's on overnights, and play a few games. I am "not" looking for a whole replacement style laptop to replace my HOME pc. My girlfriend has an apple laptop, loves it. I am just fearful of the compatibility between my home pc and having an apple laptop. I would like to remote desktop into my home pc from the road, and check things from time to time.

Last edited:
As a new f/o, price was an issue for me. I bought a used Compaq (not thrilled about them either) on ebay for $350. It's a PIII, 850 with 256mb of ram and a 30 gig HD. It came with a DVD/CD-RW drive and a wireless card (not internal). The wireless is decent, it's worked at every hotel that has had it, and crew rooms. Also came with a laptop bag included.

Nothing special, but it gets the job done, and I'm not afraid to stuff it behind my seat. It's fairly small, at 1.4" and 5.9 lbs or so. My only complaint is the battery, it only lasts about 2 hours unplugged. I can get an OEM replacement for around $50 online that holds more charge (1000 more mA I believe) that should give it some extra juice.

I do web design and graphic design on it using Macromedia Dreamweaver and Adobe Creative Studios, and even with those slightly demanding programs running I haven't ever seen a slowdown. It's not the fastest computer, but for $350 including shipping it ain't bad :).

~wheelsup

BoDEAN said:
I'll look at the Apple, .

whatever you do---don't buy an apple. you will exclude yourself from more that a few pieces of software that are PC only. the pc will do what you want. wi-fi, big hard drive, lots of memory, good graphics card and big screen, built in stereo speakers and mic ( for skype and music) and get a nice rollerbag to drag it around. :)

semperfido said:
whatever you do---don't buy an apple. you will exclude yourself from more that a few pieces of software that are PC only. the pc will do what you want. wi-fi, big hard drive, lots of memory, good graphics card and big screen, built in stereo speakers and mic ( for skype and music) and get a nice rollerbag to drag it around. :)
I disagree. An apple will give you all of the things you just listed, and, in my experience, do it better. Check out forums.macrumors.com also

I think every pilot should own a laptop. I got a Dell Inspiron 6000 and love it. Make sure it has a built-in wireless card (which almost all new ones dow), go with the Intel Centrino (not Celeron), or if you like AMD or Apple. Don't forget the combo drive (either cd-burner/dvd combo, or dvd-burner/dvd combo). Get at least 512MB of memory. Dell puts out great coupons every few weeks where you can pick up the systems for pretty cheap or if you already work for an airline or other employer, you probably can get a discount through Dell through their EPP (Employee Purchase Program) site.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back