Laptops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dojetdriver said:
A couple questions for the MAC users. I have a chance to pick up an ibook with a G3 processor for dirt cheap at a local MAC store that sells used/refurbed MAC's.

What are the shortcomings of the G3 vs.the G4?

Just that the G3s are a little slower compared to what you can buy today. Actually, the processor families are virtually identical -- an 800MHz G3 and 800MHz G4 are actually pretty close in speed. The G4 adds basically a "sub-processor" called AltiVec that some programs can take advantage of, and it makes some functions much faster. PhotoShop, for example, uses it extensively.

I only intend to use the computer for internet/email, playing music and video, and occsionally downloading various "training materials", ect.

"Internet" is something that's gotten much more processor-intensive lately. Web pages are more complex, and plus-ins (like Flash) will need more power to run smoothly, especially if they're playing video.

I've heard that the MAC processor is more efficient than a PC type, is 256k enough on a MAC or is 512 necessary?

Yes, the Mac's processor, called a PowerPC, is more efficient -- it does more in a given clock cycle. (So a 333MHz PowerPC, for example, is roughly equivalent to a 750MHz Pentium III.) But it still needs memory. If you're planning on using OS X, 256 MB will be inadequate; 512 MB should be considrered the minimum. 640 MB and up is comfortable. Much less than 512, and it has to start swapping things to disk, and that slows it down greatly.

Also, it the unit didn't come with wireless capability installed, can you put in a network card in to an external slot like a windows machines to get wireless?

The old iBooks don't have a PC Card slot, so you can't just get an off-the-shelf card for it. They do have an proprietary internal card slot for an 802.11b card they call "Airport," which was neat because the antenna's all concealed around the inside of the screen -- no antenna sticking out. But that old card is no longer being manufactured. (It was replaced with a faster 802.11g "Airport Extreme" card several years ago, and that card can't go into the old slot.) You'll find the cards on eBay, but no for less than $100 because they're still in demand. And you're really going to want the wireless, so consider that.

I hate to talk you out of getting an Apple, but if this is your first one, I think you're going to be really disappointed in the experience if you get something that old and slow. What model is this, specifically? The G3 iBooks range from 300MHz to 800MHz, and went through a major architectural change along the way.

If it's one of the old "clamshell" iBooks (with the rounded corners), I'd pass on it. It's just too slow to run the modern stuff. If it's a 700MHz or 800MHz white iBook, it's worth considering, but it would have to be a super-cheap price. I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for a 700 with 256MB of RAM.

One more thing: Rumors are strong that Apple will be releasing the first of their Intel-based computers next week, with the big Expo in San Francisco from the 9th to the 13th. The iBook is one of the likely candidates to be updated at that time. When they release a new model, it tends to drive down the prices of the older models in the used market. So it might be worth waiting another couple of weeks to see what happens. (You might be able to get a used G4 iBook for what you were about to pay for a G3 version!) I'd wait, myself.

Hope that helps.

dojetdriver said:
A couple questions for the MAC users. I have a chance to pick up an ibook with a G3 processor for dirt cheap at a local MAC store that sells used/refurbed MAC's.

What are the shortcomings of the G3 vs.the G4? I only intend to use the computer for internet/email, playing music and video, and occsionally downloading various "training materials", ect.

I've heard that the MAC processor is more efficient than a PC type, is 256k enough on a MAC or is 512 necessary?

Also, it the unit didn't come with wireless capability installed, can you put in a network card in to an external slot like a windows machines to get wireless?

Thanks for any answers.

I have a 12" white ibook 600 MHZ which is great for what I use it for and what you said you will use it for. I have the WiFi card under the keyboard. I only have 384 M of memory. I've thought about increasing it to 512 but it works fine now so I probably won't. I've had it for 4 years now and it works great. If you think you are going to use the video chat 600 is the lowest speed that it will work with. By the way, video chat(ichat) is crystal clear between 2 macs with the isight cameras. My wife just bought a new 12" ibook for under $1000. With the Mac you never have to worry about configuring anything, it just works and I have yet to have a problem with a virus. If you buy a new one, definitely spring for the Apple Care extended warranty program. It also covers the computer if you hurt it by dropping it or otherwise beating it up on the road. I don't buy extended warranties but for something that is subject to this amount of abuse it's worth it.

Pat

Someone said that laptops are a throwaway after about 2 years. Yeah, that's because he's using a PC.

My daughter inherited my G3 Powerbook and I got a wireless card (external, fortunately) and it's still chugging along after over 4 years. I brought it up to 512mb and it's still not perfect but it works for her.

There are some cheap-a$$ institutions out there (mostly banks...) that require Windows for filling out apps. I don't have virtual PC so that may be the solution.

Good luck.TC

To all these idiots that say PCs suck and Mac cpus are better. Ask yourself this; Why is apple moving to intel in 06? The new macs will be in fact PCs.

contactapp said:
To all these idiots that say PCs suck and Mac cpus are better. Ask yourself this; Why is apple moving to intel in 06? The new macs will be in fact PCs.

yeah, and they will run windows?

Its not the brains, its the software you dumbass. (WTF is a "mac cpu")

now get back to your compaq and get O2 in your Baron.

Last edited:
Read my post again my nigga. I never said anything about windows. Windows has lots of problems. PCs run more than just windows. OSX runs great on PCs. I could have said Power PC but I don't think most people in this forum know what that is.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Machtrim06 - Does anyone like the Dell 700m. Good,Bad??? Thoughts[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Bought it about three months ago, very happy with it! Small but very powerful, use it for everything, checking emails, bidding, study sessions, watching movies, copying movies, cd’s, etc., listening to music, etc. Love the small size - even though I got the extended battery it’s still very small. Also, listen to USC*** regarding www.techbargains.com and also check out http://www.couponmountain.com. I created a “wish-list”computer on dell’s website and kept looking for discounts and other rebates. One day I found a coupon for 40% on ANY Inspiron computer on that website – discount could be applied to any other discounts already received!!! Well, I already received 35% off from Dell so I ended up getting a pretty sweet deal - but it took me almost a month to find the coupon (they only post them once a day and usually they’re gone within an hour or so) Many great computers out there, good luck in your search![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Has anyone tried to play PC games on any of their laptops. I am looking for something that is small and can play the new games like f.e.a.r. or Battlefield 2. Any ideas??[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Battlefield 1942DC works great on my Dell 700m, have not tried BF2 but I think if you’re really into gaming – Dell XPS170, or XPS140 might be for you. A buddy of mine has the XPS170 and he plays BF2 on it all the time, the speed and graphics are just incredible, the best of any computer I’ve played on! (laptops AND desktops!)[/FONT]

Last edited:
contactapp said:
Read my post again my nigga. I never said anything about windows. Windows has lots of problems. PCs run more than just windows. OSX runs great on PCs. I could have said Power PC but I don't think most people in this forum know what that is.

Actually, OS X won't run on a PC. And as previously pointed out, it is the Apple operating system(OS X) that puts PCs(Windows) to shame. Yes a PC will run Linux and other operating systems that I know nothing about but most PCs use Windows. The processor doesn't make any difference to the vast majority of users. I don't care what's inside as long as it works easily.

Pat

patq1, are you for real?
osx has been running on intel for more than a year now. You can even download a developers copy at www.piratebay.org. Did you see the macworld video that was put out yesterday? http://macworld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/mw/index.html

Apple released 2 mac running on intel cpus. Yes they are now PCs and yes you could install windows on them. Did you read the news. Did you see the stock price. From Steve jobs himself: 2 to 3 times faster than the G5. The new laptop is 4 to 5 times faster than the g4 powerbooks. Please before you post something, make sure you know what you are talking about.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back