Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
www.powernotebooks.com

www.powernotebooks.com

You won't be disapointed...Plenty to choose from and their support / customer service is first rate....I've had one for 7 years and they still give me the support / service that a new customer would get...They also worked with microsoft directly on my behalf to help me resolve a problem with windows installation...

They have a team for sales, service (hardware/software) and tech reps at all the major manufacturers so you can get direct help not have to go thru some telephone / overseas service...

also check out www.sharkyextreme.com - best tech support site out there...getting a free account on it is well worth the time/effort...any problem you have post it and within hours you'll have detailed solution instructions...

-LA

I got a 15" powerbook G4, and haven't even wanted to boot up my old Dell (in safe mode probably) to get my files off it!

I spent about a week of my life on the phone listening to "Mike" in India reading off some service card trying to get that lousy two year old Dell to think straight.

If you have a problem with a Mac you walk into your local Apple store and ask a geek in person for help. I have had only one issue that was resolved in about five minutes (without waiting in line!)

I'm a convert :D

sat74 said:
Sony VAIO S580! Perfect balance of power, size, and features. 13.1" widescreen. If you want smaller, go with the VAIO 10" widescreen, but the keyboard is somewhat small.

I could not agree more ... I have the older S360 and had a S260 before that and love my laptop. The size and weight are the biggest deal for me. 4.2lbs cannot be beat with the features it has. And I really love the widescreen format. And considering how it has a full sized keyboard it is an amazing laptop.

One thing to consider too is how big the power pack is for the laptop. I have seen some chargers for laptops and was like you have gotta be spoofing me. Make sure the charger is a resonable size. Like the sony S models:)

Wankel

Another vote for the Apple. Just amazing machines. Life without spyware, viruses, and "Floyd" doing tech support, is a good thing.

And whoever posted that Apple's warranty is 90 days is incorrect -- it's 1 year. The free telephone support is what only lasts 90 days, but honestly, you're not going to need it.

Here's a recent discussion on the topic.

And note that the really cheap Windows laptops (such as those from Dell, Averatec, etc.) make some big compromises to get the price down. They use a "shared memory" video card, which steals some of your system memory permanently, in exchange for slow video performance. They include a "lite" version of the OS called Windows XP Home -- the full version is usually $100+ more. Firewire (IEEE 1394) is extra cost. Often they charge extra to go from 90 days to a 1-year warranty. And so on... If you equip the "cheap" laptop to match the Mac's specs, it's often more expensive. Keep that in mind.

semperfido said:
whatever you do---don't buy an apple. you will exclude yourself from more that a few pieces of software that are PC only. the pc will do what you want. wi-fi, big hard drive, lots of memory, good graphics card and big screen, built in stereo speakers and mic ( for skype and music) and get a nice rollerbag to drag it around. :)

NO WAY!

I gotta diagree Fido. Its 2005 and PCs are lagging - badly.

macs are definitly faster than PCs, dollar for dollar...and FAR superior in multimedia.

My macs have Office also - it was the only extra charge...and funny it cost less than if I added it to a crapola Dell PC! - and apple does student discounts.

I have had fine Dells, they are decent throw aways...but I will never own another PC again. (just ebay'ed the last one -- good riddance!)

Dont miss the hourglass
Dont miss "drivers"
Dont miss the churning harddrives (weeding through crap)
Dont miss the 45 second startup (min)
Dont miss the Inida conversations (precious)
Dont miss the "spyware"
Dont miss the "virus protection" (dont forget to renew for $30) haha!
Dont miss "defragmenting" (WTF?)
Dont miss the "would you like to send a message to Microsoft" ...hey, yeah I would...."FU Gates".

If your needs are - getting online, making movies/dvds, music, photos and Office functions -- check out Macs -- they are much better. Everything you need comes on it.

I highly recommend a 15inch Powerbook. Check out the 30inch cinema screen to plug it into at home also.....try THAT on a PC!

signed,

another convert.

Last edited:
semperfido said:
whatever you do---don't buy an apple. you will exclude yourself from more that a few pieces of software that are PC only. the pc will do what you want. wi-fi, big hard drive, lots of memory, good graphics card and big screen, built in stereo speakers and mic ( for skype and music) and get a nice rollerbag to drag it around. :)

WRONG. my powerbook came with VirtualPC which lets you "emulate" the windows OS for software that isn't compatible. Nowadays, as apple is becoming ever more popular the software is becoming far more compatible. I consider myself a heavy computer user and I haven't come across a program that won't run on my mac.

As another said, I will never have to talk to "Lloyd" again :smash:

I have three friends, all very sophisticated computer users, none of them would own a DELL again! I have had my SONY VAIO for five years now and love it! The only problem I have ever had is with the vulnerability that comes with using Internet Explorer. I fixed that with good security and by using OPERA as my server and mail service--it is great. My husband uses a MACINTOSH and he loves his-loads it up with sooo much stuff and still never a problem. Apple products are user friendly, so they are not difficult to learn. I am looking at a smaller SONY and would highly recommend the 13 or 15" models.

IBM and Toshiba would have to be on the top of my list. i've had a Toshiba, a compaq and a vaio. i've had the Toshiba for 10 year and it still works great. the compaq is the biggest waste of money i ever spent. the mother board fried after about 6 months and now the screen is breaking off the case because of the weak plastic parts. i currently have a vaio which has been a great computer altho the model i have is alittle heavy but build very tough out of solid plastic and tough hinges. if your into serious on the road gaming then Alienware is probably the best out there.

Very happy with the Acer thin and light I bought in `99 and used 'til a couple of months ago. Now I have a refurb Averatec thin and light that I got for about $800 that is great (PentM, 80GB, 512k, DVD+-RW, 802.11g/b integrated, about 4.5# w/ a nice 12.1" screen. It's a 3300 series.). So far very happy with the value but the keyboard is a little small and uncomfy so I wouldn't get one of these for excessive typing.

Panasonic!!!!!!

I have the Panasonic Toughbook and love it. It last for about 3-4 hours unplugged and is rediculously overbuilt. fast (1.8 celeron and 1.2 gigs RAM) and has built in wireless. 80gb harddrive cd-dvd burners and no worries about durability. hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back