landing in the grass

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2-o'sinGoose

Anyone know anything - legality wise about landing in the grass off the side of the active runway. I was curious if anyone has ever heard of this being a problem. Thanks.

I don't think it would be legal if the grass area is not 'designated' as a runway. Some places do that.

I would not do it anyway, unless I had been over every square inch on foot, or in a car, at least.

Small humps, bumps, ditches, soft spots, etc., that do not have to meet runway requirements make it questionable.

IF it is a good landing surface, and IF there is no tower, and IF you are 100% certain of a good landing, then maybe I might take a chance.

People do it all the time in seaplanes. Wet down the grass and land on it so they can switch over to wheels.

I think this has been gone over before on a lengthy previous thread. General consensus I believe was that from an FAA Part 91 standpoint you can land wherever you want so long as you don't violate careless and reckless. You can even do it at a tower controlled field, land on taxiways and such. Of course the tower won't clear you for it, it'll be "at your own risk".

There is no reg that prevents you from landing in grass, designated or not. The question you need to answer is did you bust any other reg, run out of fuel, damage or wreck a plane in doing so.

Just have a cub w/ tundra tires and it saves them/easier to land than on the paved surface. I always land parallel to the runway- someone told me the other day that i wasn't legal... Thanks for all the great input guys.

Latest resources

Back