Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ditchpilot

Looking for info on lancair IV jetprop
I've been to the website but would like to here from owners / pilots.
How does it handle?
x-wind limits?
real opperating cost?
product support?

Ditch, while I haven't flown this aircraft, I can give you some basics on operating costs in a general sense.

Your primary expense in operating this particular aircraft have to do with the PT-6 and weather or not you choose to use an engine program, which I highly recommend.

PT-6 engine programs are dash-number specific so I would call Pratt and ask them what those hourly costs are for the -135a that is in the lancair. But plan on pretty close to 100 bucks or so an hour. Plus another 160 bucks an hour for fuel, and you're at nearly 300 bucks an hour just to operate the engine, NOT including prop over haul allowance. Add whatever allowance for airframe maintenance as recommended by the manufacture.

Pratt along with pratt authorized maintenance facilities can also quote you what the mid-life hot section inspections costs as well as overhaul costs.

Did some google searches. Info is hard to find.

It is sad that Lancair does not have something like the Van's Air Force forums for their products

Most have Walther engines (or is it Walter?)

Product support is minimal, it's experimental. Unless you built it, you won't hold the repairman certificate and need an A&P or shop to do most if not all of the work, including annuals. Most won't touch them for liability. Insurance is also outrageous.

Don't have the support the Vans networks has, because the don't have 7000+ flying.

Sweet airplane regardless.

Looking for info on lancair IV jetprop
I've been to the website but would like to here from owners / pilots.
How does it handle?
x-wind limits?
real opperating cost?
product support?

Check into the real world range. The IV doesn't hold a lot of fuel when feeding the walter engine. Also the landing speeds are very high for a single.

Check out the tradewinds bonanza turboprop conversion. Not quite as fast but a really sweet airplane with great field performance and good range and it would be a lot easier to insure and get worked on.

I agree with the above guy. Most mechanics get touchy about working on homebuilts, add turboprop and pressurized most will run away. Find a willing IA before you buy.

Cheers,
Scott

Latest resources

Back