• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

laminating certificates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only some SS cards have a prohibition against lamination. Mine does, but my wife's card didn't.

The FAA has specifically stated that there is no problem with lamination of FAA certificates.

Don't go to your FSDO for this information, or any advice on legality. The FSDO level does NOT have the authority to stand behind what they tell you, or to provide ANY interpretation of the regulation. You have zero defense when given bad advice, in saying that you did it because you were told to do it that way by the FSDO. You are expected to know the FSDO level does not interpret or issue FAA regulation, and will be held to that during an enforcement action.

The same for a designated examiner. Don't go by what the DE tells you...it's opinion at best. Find out the facts, don't rely on the opinions of others that can sink you.

In this case, yes, you can laminate your certificate. Ample direction exists on this in the form of FAA Orders, Advisory Circulars, and legal interpretations. No question at all. However, if the only advice had some at the FSDO level, it would be worthless. Never do something based on what a FSDO level inspector, or designated examiner, has told you.

Thanks FlyinBrian. Real great. Now pilots aren't even going to get through security without having their license collected as being a projectile weapon.:D

Timebuilder,

Instructions for getting new certificates are in part 61.29. I think You have to send a letter to the FAA explaining why you want new ones, and pay them a fee. (I think it's like a buck per cert.) I don't think they'll send you a new one just because yours are looking ratty, so you might want to accidentally destroy them. Call the airman certification branch (their number is in the FAR AIM), they'll give you all the instructions you'll need.

Latest resources

Back