• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lagos, Nigeria

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm always amazed at how much vitriol is spilled for LOS. Yes, it's ugly, stinky, dicey at night, but there aren't open sewers flowing in the streets everywhere; corpses on the roadside? Come on. Get your yellow fever shot, be mindful of the mosquito feeding times, carry your DEET and you'll likely avoid malaria. Stay on VI or at your hotel and it's fine.

To the orig poster: does your contract offer a driver? That's a must no matter what.

All that said, Abuja is night-and-day from LOS. Other posters have commented on that, too. It's a bright, clean, engineered city. Unlike Brasilia (which is about the same age), people actually want to live in Abuja! That's a good gig.

I've heard overall good things about the ex-pat pilots for Arik. I know they have a set rotation of (I believe) 3 months on-1 off. Most of their middle-mgt are ex-pat and on similar skeds. I know my mgr is English and he's 5/2.

Arik isn't like the other Nigerian airlines of the past (and present). Other carriers in Nigeria I'd not trust as far as I can throw them. Out of 26 certified carriers 14 months ago, 7 are left. Bellview just collapsed a few weeks ago. You won't see me on those flights; but any Arik plane (Arik, Denim, or HiFly) I'd trust.

Good luck in your decision.

I agree with B727FA, Lagos is not the best, Abuja is better, Calabar is actually a resort, but you can find your fun in clubbing or golfing right here by the Airport in Ikeja. Beer and food is cheap at golf clubs. A driver is a must or you won't get too far. There were cases of guys, not gals, being afraid to get out of the bus when they first arrive at Lagos. Guys left within days or weeks.
As for Arik, we don't even get a cop with us in the bus every time we go to and from the airport. Day or night. Arik has growing pains like every other new airline, but so far it's the most successful. On Q400 guys were on payroll for a year without flying and sitting at home. With new airplanes coming there will be more jobs.

hi

Abuja is a piece of cake compared to Lagos. It's much cleaner and a little more orderly. However, armed robbers do set up shop from time to time on the airport road. I know some S. African pilots that were robbed going to work very early in the morning in Abuja. If you get held up, just give em the money and you'll be on your way. It's not like S Africa where they rob and then kill you for the heck of it.

500 resumes is laughable. Out of that I bet they couldn't find 10 that would actually do the job. It takes a very open mind to be there.

Your contract is not enforceable by either party. It's a general outline of what you can both expect. Dont' take it too seriously but definitely outline pay, secured furnished housing with SatTV/internet, car w/driver, maid, time off with ticket home. If I think of more I'll send it to you.

I have been there for two years.

Situational awareness and working TCAS are a must. Pilots will lie on position reports and controllers are not competent.

Never seen or smelled dead bodies. Don't cross the VI bridge at night in Lagos.

It's funny the crews I see come through Lagos. They act as if they are in a war zone. Many will get on a bus with the curtains pulled and go to the hotel. I drive myself. Most people don't but that's just me.

Going to Africa is one of the best experiences of my life; but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. You'll understand if you go.

Update: I've been flying over here for six months now and have to say its nothing like many of the post on here. Abuja is a piece of cake. The city is growing, which brings along pains. I've been to three different super market and the food is fine. Its not Publix or Winn Dixie but not bad either. I do have a driver but me and the other pilots drive ourselves many times with no problems. Its our choice. Living is fine also. The apartment is fine, power out only as long as it takes for the generator to kick in. Internet is slowwwwww but live able. The people on the most part are nice but remember everyone seems to have an edge to make money off of you. I've come across two movie theaters and a couple of shopping malls, even dry cleaning, which takes fours days. The pay is good and on time and as long as things keeping going well I see no problem in the future working here.

I started a contract job out of Lagos in March, and I agree that is hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I had feared. I haven't felt unsafe at all, nor have I gotten sick (yet). Yes, the traffic is horrible and a driver is a must (for me anyway), but we have a good crew house close the Sheraton and it has worked out pretty well. I wouldn't want to drive all the way from the airport to Victoria Island every day. We are careful not to expose ourselves to unnecessary risks, but overall I don't think it's that bad. Maybe it's just my location in Ikeja, but there aren't normally any sewer or trash smells. I've only been bothered by that once when I was at the airport and happened to be downwind of a burning trashpile. Actually, the people here are a bit "aromatic", so that would be my biggest complaint.

It's true that the contract is just a suggestion for both parties. It's good to have one, but there's really nothing you can do if they choose not to abide by it. It works both ways, though. If you choose to leave before the contract is up, there's not much they can do about it other than not pay you. It has taken some effort to adjust to the local business culture and ways of doing things, but the pay checks have come on time, and my employer seems to make a decent effort to ensure we're happy.

The "Welcome to Lagos" video on YouTube is pretty interesting and I'm sure is an accurate portrayal of the lives of a handful of people in Lagos. Keep in mind, however, that Lagos is huge and has vastly different neighborhoods and suburbs. It would be a mistake to think that all of Lagos is like the scenes they show on there. It would be like making a documentary of NYC and following around some homeless person scavenging for food at the dump. Yes it exists, but it's not the way everyone lives.

Basically, if you have an open mind and are adventurous, Nigeria isn't bad. Poverty is rampant, but the people I have met and worked with have all been great. I would prefer to work here and risk some petty theft rather than work in an area where I am considered an infidel and a terrorism target.

AV8TR70: PM me if you plan on overnighting in Lagos and we can meet for a drink or have you over to the house for dinner.

Latest resources

Back