Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FFLSinHI

http://www.randolph.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123294964

3/22/2012 - JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas -- An NCO from the 802nd Comptroller Squadron earned the Bronze Star March 14 for her actions in Afghanistan.

Tech. Sgt. Christina Gamez, a financial analyst in the 802nd CPTS, received the Bronze Star for meritorious service from Brig. Gen. Theresa A. Carter, 502nd Air Base Wing commander, prior to a commander's call at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

The Bronze Star is the U.S. military's fourth-highest individual decoration for bravery, heroism or meritorious service.

Gamez distinguished herself by meritorious achievement as the NCO in charge during a 365-day deployment, January 2011 to January 2012. While in Afghanistan, she accurately executed operational funds across eight remote bases, providing commanders with flexibility in support of counterinsurgency efforts. Gamez trained 68 operational fund teams, reviewed 34 projects and funded 280 joint acquisition board packages enabling critical base sustainment.

"Ask me to recognize anyone else and I can talk for days, but to brag about myself, I'm not the best," Gamez said. "I feel like I did my job, kept a very busy pace and made improvements any place I could."

"I did my best to make a positive impact on the mission, and was surrounded by countless others doing the same," she said. "Between my husband, my leadership both here and in the field, and those who served with me, I had set the bar high. I am truly grateful for their support."

As the financial reviewer of the joint facilities utilization board, Gamez validated forward operating base requirements to provide the facilities in support of Operation Enduring Freedom missions.

Gamez took the lead as program manager to draft the statement of work, initiated the joint acquisition review board package and solicited estimates for a mass notification system. Her work will provide an early warning notification system to more than 2,500 personnel at the installation and a nearby camp in the event of imminent attack.

Army and the Air Force just give those Bronze Stars away...what next someone who licked 10000 envelopes in Iraq???? It lessens the meaning to those who earned it in combat operations - which is what most people associate it with it being awarded for...pathetic...just saying

They need to modify it. For example, it could be a Bronze Star with an "A" Device (for conspicuous administration)

Unbelievable.

Next it will be a queer with a silver star for the best MWR Programs/facilities in theater for organizing the most comprehensive and wide ranging initiatives for deploying IFC, Oxygen and Logo into broader media outlets for combat deployed troops throughout Afghanistan, Iraq (third-time will certainly be the charm) and soon, Tehran?

Political Correctness and Affirmative Action at the Pentagon has successfully spit upon and cankered the image, reflection and memorial of many of our fallen and surviving heroes as well as the spirit of the services and recognition for duty above and beyond the call.

100-1/2

Ygbfsm!!!

That's why there is a "V" device for valor. Which she did not earn nor receive. On my last tour (army), Gen Petraeus told his commanders that they were no longer authorized to recommend a meritorious service medal. Because he felt that OEF was a combat theatre and the MSM should only be awarded for peaceful operations. Defense MSM's were awarded but only if you were assigned to a joint task organization. I believe this is a leadership issue and the excellent service and commitment from our soldiers/airman should not be diminished because we as leaders fail to balance heritage and honor with recognition.

Political correctness will be the downfall of our military and country - not necessarily in that order. Thank God I served when I did. I don't know how you guys keep from puking daily under the current chain of command.

A Bronze Star for clerical work???? I understand it was in a combat zone, but commanders should be given the latitude to award the appropriate medal for the appropriate accomplishment and risk. When I was still on active duty, a pilot had to fly 20 combat sorties to get 1 Air Medal. I'm not blaming the recipient, but the award seems a bit excessive for the situation.

Latest resources

Back