• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LA Times: "Are pilots flying beyond their limits?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now who's fault is that? I believe Rebecca Shaw commuted through the night and slept on a recliner.

No one forced him to commuter from LA, one of the most expensive cities in the US, to a Pinnacle base. And most certainly, he is unprofessional to commute through the night on a red eye, and arrive to start a 5 leg day without being properly rested. Your paying passengers deserve better. Either pack your crap and move to MSP/MEM/DTW or commute and be in the night before, with plenty of sleep before you start your trip.

Very true.

I commute and I recognize my professional responsibility to the public trust. It is an ethical imperative that I arrive for duty well rested and physiologically prepared for duty. That being said...

I have changed bases, mostly unwillingly, 8 times in 12 years over two airlines. It must be recognized that there are instances, especially at the regional level, that commuting becomes an economic imperative for a pilot. Few of us, especially those who have families, could absorb the cost of multiple moves. If my contract stipulated reasonable moving expense coverage I would have gladly moved into base. As it is, my rate of pay is insufficient to support a family of 4 in the NYC area.

Even so, it is still the commuting pilot's responsibility to ensure they are fit to fly and that they arrive at work on time.

Now who's fault is that? I believe Rebecca Shaw commuted through the night and slept on a recliner.

No one forced him to commuter from LA, one of the most expensive cities in the US, to a Pinnacle base. And most certainly, he is unprofessional to commute through the night on a red eye, and arrive to start a 5 leg day without being properly rested. Your paying passengers deserve better. Either pack your crap and move to MSP/MEM/DTW or commute and be in the night before, with plenty of sleep before you start your trip.

FWIW, I heard captain Prater say during one of the hearings that she would have been legal to work the flight she commuted on and then work her schedule on Colgan.

Mr. Babbitt talked about plans for the next year, when the FAA will roll out a slew of changes that will impact air travel. New training standards will likely be proposed for regional airlines, requiring them to step up to training levels practiced at mainline airlines.

This doesn't make any sense.

The training we got at ASA was superlative. We had a new FAA guy observing on my checkride who had spent a career at DAL. He was observing his 2nd ASA checkride and couldn't get over how much better the training department at ASA was than DAL's.

It's not TRAINING standards, you idiot...it's WORK RULES that are the difference between the regionals and the majors.

As if you didn't already know that, tool!

Professional pilots flying for the regional airlines should have known what they were or are getting themselved into before applying or submitting their resumes to the regional of their choice.

Until I was furloughed, I got:
- cheap health insurance
- a second income
- 4-6 days a month at work, 12 or so other days 'on call' working my real job
- a small paycheck...but really pretty generous when you consider how much actual work I did.
- free airline travel benefits for my whole family.

The regional airline job is a great second job!

Treat it as a second job and you won't have anything to complain about.

On the other hand, you can seriously ******************** youself by thinking of it as a 'career'.

This doesn't make any sense.

The training we got at ASA was superlative. We had a new FAA guy observing on my checkride who had spent a career at DAL. He was observing his 2nd ASA checkride and couldn't get over how much better the training department at ASA was than DAL's.

It's not TRAINING standards, you idiot...it's WORK RULES that are the difference between the regionals and the majors.

As if you didn't already know that, tool!

Until I was furloughed, I got:
- cheap health insurance
- a second income
- 4-6 days a month at work, 12 or so other days 'on call' working my real job
- a small paycheck...but really pretty generous when you consider how much actual work I did.
- free airline travel benefits for my whole family.

The regional airline job is a great second job!

Treat it as a second job and you won't have anything to complain about.

On the other hand, you can seriously ******************** youself by thinking of it as a 'career'.

Hey fruit basket and hippy s**t name, JohnPeace , this is one idiotic post. "Pretty generous?!" WTF, over? "Free airline travel benefits for my whole family". Well zogosh darn, that's just fantastic. You are the very type of person, the twits that decide to make a career change and try to the airline pilot thing, that have especially helped bring down the profession by pretending it's your little hobby. You are the anti-Sulley You could learn a lesson from your own signature.

Last edited:
bring down the profession by pretending it's your little hobby.

Sorry you feel that way.

It's working for me.

You feel free to save 'the profession'...I'm going to keep on just worrying about taking care of me and my family the best way I can.

Sorry you feel that way.

It's working for me.

You feel free to save 'the profession'...I'm going to keep on just worrying about taking care of me and my family the best way I can.

It's much easier for them to preach when they have a job.

Latest resources

Back