• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Anyone know the status of LAB?

Are they looking to get back into the airline biz after their year of revocation is up?

Cheers!

GP

I flew this past season with LAB and was with them when they lost their 135 cert. It was by far the most fun flying I have ever done. One FAA guy went out of his way and really bent over back to get it pulled. The Bennet's tried hard to fight it but last I heard was that they are giving up. To much money to try to get it back so they are selling things off. I haven't heard anything since September so things might have changed. I hope them the best.

Lab

I think if you look at their www site they mentioned shutting down, sounds like completely.

They pulled the plug. Worked there 10 years ago. A shame to see it go. Lynn would not have let guys fly unairworthy planes. Most fun job I ever had!

Skagway Air gone too. I flew for them for 2 summers. Best job I ever had.

Pretty sad to see what has happened to the small carriers up there. LAB - gone. Skagway Air - gone, Haines Air - gone. Glacier Bay Airways - gone. Those were just some of the carriers operating up there in '94 when I flew there.

I can remember LAB had something like 44 pilots in '94. Skagway Air, about 13. Haines Air, about 6 or 7. All these companies gone, but Wings hasn't really grown since all of these shutdowns. Air Excursions joined the mix of carriers recently, but still only have maybe 7 pilots. I was in Skagway last summer and saw that Seaborne is basing a DHC-6 there for the season. Even with good weather, however, it wasn't flying much.

I can remember times in Glacier Bay when traffic was heavy. Now it is rare to hear more than 3-5 airplanes per day over the Davidson Glacier.

Great times. Lifetime of memories.

GP

Lynn would not have let guys fly unairworthy planes.

Are you being serious? This place was a joke... SE Alaska is safer without them!!!
You should do a little research before you praise them so much.

Last edited:
Flew with them '04-'05. Most fun I've had with my pants on....and in one case, off, but I digress. It was sad to see them go. I never flew an airplane I did not feel was airworthy. And though they may have not been a perfect company, when I was there, their relationship with the FAA was even less perfect. I'm sure that contributed more to their demise than some would like to admit.

Anyhow, I raise my glass to Layton, Lou and Lynn!!!

Latest resources

Back