Kodiak Alaska info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

500and2

if anyone has toured kodiak recently, or lives there.... I could use some advice on where to go, what to see, lodging, etc....

I'm trying for this coming weekend.... (only 2.5 days to sightsee..)

thanks

Jackson

Check in over at www.tccoa.com (thunderbird and cougar club of America)

Send a PM to member Kodiak Kid - He was in the US Coast Guard, and his wife is in the Navy or Air Force.

He might be able to give you some insight.

Hope this helps.

i spent a week there two years ago about this time - beautiful! a week was not enough time, but it's like i can almost say there is nothing to do there also. the town of kodiak is about the only place you can see without taking a boat or floatplane to the rest of the island villages. if you rent a car you can cover the road system in a day, i think it was about 30 miles to the end of the road going south (chiniak) and about 10 miles going north (manashka bay), both trips recommended for leisurely driving and sightseeing. stop in at the "end of the road cafe" for a cold one and some decent grub, it's at the end of the south route in chiniak. in town there is the museum which has some stuff about the history of kodiak and its russian heritage. while there you can stroll around the ferry dock and canneries (shew-ee). i recommend breakfast at, hum, don't remember the name but it's at the end of lily lake (floatplanes) right where the paved municipal airport is located. doesn't sound like enough time for you but the main thing to do is fish. it's beyond belief to see hundreds of fish in a couple of feet of water trying to get upstream. unfortunately we stayed with some friends so i can't recommend any lodging. my dad is going back next month, wish i was going along with him.

sounds good!

thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it goes! (I'm going to try to take a flight somewhere)

cheers,

Jackson

And hey, if you can't make it to Kodiak, you could probably jump to Juneau (if you guys can jump AK). I've only been to Kodiak once, and never left the airport--so I can't be of help there.

But Juneau rocks, especially if Gangly Moose is in town (of course, that can be said of anyplace they are playing :) )

Dan

Be Safe

If you are going to spend some time in the bush at Kodiak, please protect yourself. I am always amazed how many people are willing to go into the woods without a firearm or a can of pepper sauce - nothing but a fishing pole.

It is beautiful country, but the dangers are real. Be bear smart, but always protect yourself. Bears can be unpredictable, and sometimes just grumpy.

Also, if you are going to fly out of town, be prepaired to spend a few extra days if some weather comes in. I was stuck for a couple extra days on Afognak last year. Weather was pretty good where I was, but the other side of the island had 40 knot winds and no float planes could fly.

Have fun!
AK737FO

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back