Knowing the FARs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gavin

When you all were learning the FARs part 1, 61, and 91, did you memorize those? Is that possible? any advice on how to learn them vs. simply memorizing them would be greatly appreciated. My first stage check is in a week. Thanks a lot for your help!

Gavin said:
When you all were learning the FARs part 1, 61, and 91, did you memorize those? Is that possible?

Yes. By the time you pass your CFI, you will be able to quote chapter and verse as well...

Wow, that is crazy. Good to know its possible though, haha.

I still have a ways to go until my CFI, but do you think they'll expect me to know it word for word on my first stage check (I have 18 hours logged) for my private license? If they do, I better start knocking it out.

Again, thanks for the help

do you think they'll expect me to know it word for word on my first stage check (I have 18 hours logged) for my private license?

Uh, no...they won't.

You'll find there's too much in flying to remember everything. Learn to remember the important things and remember where to go find everything else.

Good luck.

Sounds like you have a good attitude about the whole deal...keep it up.

You'll never be required to recite FARs word for word. You should know the rules that apply to the type of flying you do though. When you become an instructor and you teach the same regs over and over (which you should do, contrary to a lot of instructors who think their responsibility ends after the flight is over) you will get to the point that you can recite the regs and their numbers. For me, it is a constant process of reviewing and learning, as I do not have a photographic memory.

Anyway, know the big things for your first stage check (landing currency, minimum altitudes, your school's policies, etc.). Hope your first stage check goes well, I'm sure you'll do great.

Gavin said:
Wow, that is crazy. Good to know its possible though, haha.
He's joking. Nobody knows chapter and verse of the FAR. Put me in a room with the nastiest "you must memorize" the FAR DPE and I can probably cure him of it in 10 minutes.

There are FAR you need to know cold and others you can look up. The idea is to know the ones you need to know; know =how= to look up the others quickly, and understand the difference between the two.

Airplane is approaching head on. Which way do you turn? Sorry. If you don't know that one stone cold, you are in deep doo-doo. You just don't have the time to look it up.

The specific requirements for certificates and ratings? Most CFIs ultimately develop a working knowledge for the requirements, not by memorizing them, but by constantly using them. But there is no need to memorize them.

There are always some things "on the cusp" - things you technically have the time to look up but are good to know. This is a fuzzy area that will change from examiner to examiner. Some can be controversial but a fairly neutral one is pilot currency. Arguably you can answer "Am I current" by looking it up. But a lot of folks would say that if you need to look you that answer, you are probably not that likely to ask yourself the question to begin with.

Rogue5 said:
Yes. By the time you pass your CFI, you will be able to quote chapter and verse as well...
That's one thing I could never do. I knew the regs solid, but when it came to being able to tell you what specific "verse" it was, I've always been hopeless.

There's just too many of them. The important thing to know is what the regs say, and how to best keep yourself out of trouble!

Once you've read thru the regs a time or two, you'll start figuring out where to turn to atleast get you pretty close to what you're looking for.

As far as the Regs go for your Private, I agree with Midlife that you should know some stone cold.

Make sure you know how to read/navigate your FAR/AIM (or AIM/FAR - depending on the publisher) and know how to look things up. Know where the Index, Pilot Controller Glossary, NTSB 830 sections are located.

Know where the AIM is located and have a general idea of what information is contained therein (ie chapter 7 Safety of Flight has Weather information). You do not have to have these memorized, just know what information is contained therein and how you can proceed to look up the specifics if needed.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. You all have been a big help. I figured before I sat down and tried to memorize the FARs I'd look here for help.

Latest resources

Back