KJAC and KWYS question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

doublepsych

Going to Jackson Hole and West Yellowstone next week, having never been to either one. Flying KSLC-KJAC and then KJAC to KWYS. I recall that there was an accident involving a C130 and terrain out of JAC about 10 years ago. Any advise on the flying end of things such as terrain, or whatever, plus any good things to see/do that may be unknown to the average touristwould be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah,

We had all sorts of classes on that accident. Just read the trouble T and make sure you can make the climb gradient. I know, I'm preaching to the choir, I hope I don't come across as patronizing. Jackson hole is beautiful. Check The Bunnery for breakfast, take the tram to the top of Rendezvous Mtn., go to the million dollar cowboy bar for some Moose Drool Ale. Another good bar is the Stagecoach in wilson, right outside town. I once saw a no-$hit crazy barfight between some bikers and some locals. We're talking bottles over the head, smashing chairs and pool sticks, tables knocked over, yada, yada...I got some great pics until the sheriffs came. If you got some time, good whitewater on the snake. Not to mention some awesome fly fishing, if your into that.

Enjoy.

doublepsych said:
Going to Jackson Hole and West Yellowstone next week, having never been to either one. Flying KSLC-KJAC and then KJAC to KWYS. I recall that there was an accident involving a C130 and terrain out of JAC about 10 years ago. Any advise on the flying end of things such as terrain, or whatever, plus any good things to see/do that may be unknown to the average touristwould be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The crew did NOT follow the SID, if I remember fly R188 to 14dme, left turn direct JAC VOR, and there were some crossing restrictions also depending on direction of flight after the VOR. That was the old SID 5 years ago. From reading the report the Nav guy told the pilots was, yeah looks good turn direct to XYZ no problem. Only one problem, you have rapidly rising terrain to the east and west 10,000msl and higher. The last thing heard on the CVR was, hey my radar alt just went dead.

Eat at Bullwinkles in West Yellowstone. Great food. Stop in at Blue Ribbon Flies for a world class guided fishing trip. (or just get a hat)

Not sure what you are operating into KJAC, but summer temps can limit takeoff performance. (6,300' runway at 6451' Elev) Take a look at expected takeoff time, expected temp and the numbers... The DPs are published in graphical format as SIDs now so there shouldn't be an excuse to not know how to depart IFR. It is truly a beautiful place. Enjoy!

Latest resources

Back